Help with RA95... from TFD

nagromlt

Running Ubuntu 10.04.3 on AMD64dual

This is all awesome by the way, so thank you greatly  XD

using Wine

if it is the straight install (of RA95) with no patches/updates and I do the ddraw thing, then it runs windowed perfectly as stated on the cnc-ddraw website.  When I add the 3.03 patch it does not show windowed anymore.  Is this a bug?

I guess I like it with the bigger screen anyway, however it stalls sometimes (more often) like this and when that happens, due to it not being windowed, I have to jump to another window at that super low resolution and logout/login to revert the screen res (if i just kill the process like that then ubuntu is stuck at same.  That is one reason I like the windowed mode i.e. if it crashes, I can kill it without effecting whole desktop GUI).

Any help would be appreciated.

Tried it a number of variations with virtual emulation on/off, window decoractions on/off, different resolutions, etc.

And thx again to Nyergud and everyone else.  Fuggin' awesome.

1 - Download the ddraw.dll agan and add it into the game directory.

2 - $ winecfg

{

Add RA95 in the "Applications" menu.

Add DDraw.dll in Library Menu as native, so cnc-ddraw will be loaded instead of Wine DirectX one.

on Videos, enable "emulates a virtual desktop", otherwise the mouse will always be stuck, and ajust it to your                .    curent screen resolution (like, i use 1024x768 on desktop, so i'll use 1024x768 on that too)

on Audio, change the Hardware Aceleration to "Emulated", otherwise the game will always hang.

}

3 - edit ddraw.ini

{

[ddraw]

width=yourcurrent

height=resolutionscreen

windowed=false

maxfps=120 //

vsync=false // Otherwise it will somehow hangs the game if running on Wine

And also you can set the render to GDI if you got low framerate.

}

4 - $ wine RA95.exe

{

PLAY!

}

i'm one from the less that play C&C95/RA95 from Linux, your luck you got me here :D

Did everything you said but it still wont run windowed (I even changed windowed in the initializing file back to true) and changes the resolution to 640xwtvr still, thus forcing me tologin/logout still.

:(

What do you think the reason is that it will work with the un-patched version but 3.03 is funky?

C&C95 1.06c runs fine in a window without any alterations.

othr things:

If I fail a mission (how emabarrisng) or abort it hangs the game.

The sound cuts out in mission 3 (allies) also.

How can I get in touch with Nyerguds to report this, or is it even worthy?

thx much for your help, I'll fiddle some more and post here if I get it to work.

If you want to run that in windowed, simple put an resolution like 800x600 into DDraw.ini, and into the Wine Desktop emulation, but use fullscreen=true in ddraw.ini.

Well, there's another thing too. I don't know if the configuration that you put for wine is just for THAT .exe or for everything from that .exe uses. As for RA95, the main executable is RA95.DAT, so simple:

1- Delete RA95.EXE

2- Rename RA95.DAT to RA95.exe

3- Reconfigure WINE as i mentioned.

4- $ wine RA95.EXE