Seeking info about the CNC net RA2 version...

bdizzle18

I played this when it was new... I bought 8 copies of the game so I could host parties for my friends...   over the years I've spent hundreds of hours building complicated scripted maps that I bet none of you have experienced...      

I intend to ressurrect RA2 into my friends circles game night.

This is by far the most entertaining game that I enjoy more than any other game; and I generally play 99.9% offline or vs computers (advanced scripted ones)

I love the game.. the original game; v 1.006 - the yuri campaign?  I played it.. hated everything about it and instanty uninstalled it and never want to see it - or any of its units again...

So I occasinally log into XWIS and have seen fewer players as the years go by... seems there might be a community here that plays...

Though it seems everyone here has embrased yuri - and has patched the game; made balance changes and modified it to something I would probably hate...

I  believe my favorite bug in the game is the Hammer sickle broken bottom right bridge.. I had so many countless 2vs 2 battles on that map that took 2 to 4 hours to complete as highly skilled players would grow their bases; camp  - attack - repel/retreat -camp -attack /repelretreat- etc... the skill involved in distraction feinting and quickly landing on that lower right side =fixing the bridge and crossing quickly was one of the most challenging things... 

So here are the questions... I'll throw them out and if anyone feels like answering them great!

First. Can I play the original ra2 1.006 un patched un modded with all the original stuff as is around here? - aka No yuri

Second. If I agree to ruin // cough I mean / Patch my game up to the modded version offered here'' 

a. can I completely disable all yuri units by check box in settings for online/ offline or both?

b. can one disable any 'balancing' changes that were included to revert back? 

c.  perhaps the game host can set these flags for online play?

d. Programming = there are about four different official retail versions of RA2.   My custom maps were created under the first few; and when XWIS implemented cheat detection anytime someone would play my advanced maps - and they would trigger chronosphere troops to appear (and be controlled by the player or AI who triggered it) So after cheat detection was implemented - my maps would instantly disconnect everyone the instant that the triggers were tripped... very annoying and made a few of my maps unplayable online...  Will such maps work here?

e. Are there any currently active map makers or anyone who remembers Deezires encyclopedia, Cannis, Alpha or any of the former custom map makers who made impossibly hard comp stomps?

f. Are there any approved methods of doing Map reveal for offline mode? (I am not a fog of war fan and disable it in every game I play that allows one to disable it) 

g.  Anyone here ever play one of my maps? lol  Pacific Island Polynesia for example?  I was doing an 8 player version of Cannis' City fights back - such a masterpiece that map was going to be but I messed up a script someplace and never made time to go back.. I have almost 70 hours working on that map between the graphics, Ai pathfinding edits and tweaks to how to navigate.. and of course making it fair for all...

• 5 months later...

So... is there NO older version of the cncnet loader that supports RA2 only?  I own so many copies of RA2.. but only one of yuri.. (hated it)

I'm going to be introducing my friends to ra2 again on game nights... getting tired of starcraft 2 lmao...

I can use XWIS... but thats a dead server....  is that my only option?

(as I am NOT installing yuri's revenge and ruining my ra2 experience.....) --

*unless there is a newer updated mod that would completely remove all yuri units and all ra2 mods from yuri and revert my game back to stock settings lmao.. (doubt it)

On 3/30/2022 at 5:37 PM, bdizzle18 said:

First. Can I play the original ra2 1.006 un patched un modded with all the original stuff as is around here? - aka No yuri

Yes. Absolutely.
You can play classic RA2, classic YR, "rebalanced" YR, or even classic YR without Yuri! (All additional stuff of the original YR but without the Yuri faction).
Also, you can play RA2 maps in YR mode, or YR maps in RA2 mode! All maps work with all modes.

is there NO older version of the cncnet loader that supports RA2 only?  I own so many copies of RA2.. but only one of yuri

The same client allows you to play both. Download it and let it update itself whenever there is an update, to avoid any problems.

a. can I completely disable all yuri units by check box in settings for online/ offline or both?
b. can one disable any 'balancing' changes that were included to revert back?
c.  perhaps the game host can set these flags for online play?

Yes to all. You can do exactly that:
posted image

d. Will such maps work here?

CnCNet has cheat prevention implemented as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean that maps with triggers won't work.
Give it a try and see what happens.

e. Are there any currently active map makers or anyone who remembers Deezires encyclopedia, Cannis, Alpha or any of the former custom map makers who made impossibly hard comp stomps?

Yes.

f. Are there any approved methods of doing Map reveal for offline mode?

Yes. There are so many tutorials for almost anything you could think of.

g.  Anyone here ever play one of my maps?

Not sure, but perhaps yes.
You can introduce your maps here so they can be downloaded and played again :)

Edited by Sam-I-am