A guide to making the Flame Tank useful...

SuperHeavyTank

Now this is a test of knowledge. It seems to nearly always be better to simply not use a flame tank, but Ill try my best to give tips and I hope someone that knows how will chime in also. 

1) You can mix them in to a group of units, like the AI does in skirmish on RA1 for the allied side, might work this way. Or you can tailor them to defeat a mix of units that may be vulnerable to your counter mix, maybe they have alot of buggies light units etc Or maybe have a combo of bikes and flame tanks used as 2 teams

2) You can do a rarely used tech rush and flame tank rush, ultra early, 1 refinery to airfield, to comm centre catches people out sometimes, probably not a good tip

3) Pence uses it as a surprise tech build, and adds them into the mix early on when the opponent is still using mass buggies,  it was a good idea that way as a surprise it worked well but now its no longer a surprise so add the surprise factor in and its a good tactic but not something to use often 

4) You can use it as a stand alone unit that goes around the outside of the map to do damage elsewhere as your main force distracts / does teh main damage this can also split their forces and make them weaker (where a engineer apc would be ineffective you can sometimes use the flame tank instead)

5) You can have them safety behind a group of units and only bring them to the front lines or onto a base sprawl etc when they are not so stand out as targets, so they can do that fast damage to their base

6) They seem to work only in very specialized and rare circumstances, so figure those circumstances out to use the Flame tank well, are there lots of vulnerable light buildings? Are there lots of vulnerable light units in a low mobility position? Do I rarely use them so will it throw my enemy off if I now use them in a skillful e.g. early in the buggy vs buggy meta?  Can I make a mixed unit attack group to efficiently bust a base down? Will a bike/tank and flame tank combo throw him off?  Can I menace a GDI base or split his forces up with a separate group of flame tanks?  So the tip is think about how and when they are useful rather than forgetting about them because mostly they are not useful. 

Yea it isnt easy flame tanks seem to suck, there always seems to be a more conservative and boring approach that works better, unfortunately, and so it seems to make all tips unworthy,  if you know any worthy tips that would be cool! But it may be that there are simply are none!?

Edited by SuperHeavyTank

• 1 year later...

They seem to work only in very specialized and rare circumstances, so figure those circumstances out to use the Flame tank well, are there lots of vulnerable light buildings? Are there lots of vulnerable light units in a low mobility position? Do I rarely use them so will it throw my enemy off if I now use them in a skillful e.g. early in the buggy vs buggy meta?  Can I make a mixed unit attack group to efficiently bust a base down? Will a bike/tank and flame tank combo throw him off?  Can I menace a GDI base or split his forces up with a separate group of flame tanks?  So the tip is think about how and when they are useful rather than forgetting about them because mostly they are not useful. 

spotiflyer.net

Edited by abhamit533