Ridiculous load times (for saved games) in Tiberian Sun

ryan0991

First a list of the things I'm using:

I'm running Windows 8. I'm using the DDraw.dll, "-win" in the shortcut parameters, compatibility mode set to XP SP2, and 16bit mode to work around the invisible menus issues. I also had to enable "ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1" and "NoVideoMemory = 1" in the config file that came with ddraw.dll to get rid of an issue which caused horrible slowdown when moving the cursor. I'm using the "CnC Graphics Patch". And I'm running the game at 1920 x 1080.

Now that that's out of the way...

The load times for loading a saved game start off just fine, but the longer I have the game running the longer the load times get. After playing for about 20-30 minutes the loading times are unbearable. They can get as long as 2 minutes just to load a save.

Help would be appreciated.

I was going to post this in the other topic, but I guess I may as well keep all my problems confined to one topic.

Try this:

Disable windowed mode and all compatibility settings and extract this into your TS folder:

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

That fixes the invisible menus glitch, but actually makes the mouse lag reappear. So it's a more efficient and streamlined fix for the invisible menus glitch, but reintroduces the mouse lag issue. This is likely because I can't use the NoVideoMemory and ForceDirectDrawEmulation commands, which were in the .cfg file..... which doesn't seem to work with the ddraw.dll that you provided.

The first thing you used was probably ddwrapper which has a configuration file. The one I linked to in that topic is IE-DDraw which doesn't have a configuration file.

The Graphics Patch and using NoVideoMemory in ddwrapper does the same thing.

How about starting with a fresh game.exe, don't apply the graphics patch and try IE-DDraw again. You should also update the drivers of your graphics card and install DirectX 9 (newer versions of DirectX seem to miss some DX9 components) if you haven't already.

The first thing you used was probably ddwrapper which has a configuration file. The one I linked to in that topic is IE-DDraw which doesn't have a configuration file.

The Graphics Patch and using NoVideoMemory in ddwrapper does the same thing.

How about starting with a fresh game.exe, don't apply the graphics patch and try IE-DDraw again. You should also update the drivers of your graphics card and install DirectX 9 (newer versions of DirectX seem to miss some DX9 components) if you haven't already.

Installed a completely fresh copy of the game from this site and then I put the IE-DDraw files in the directory, but I still get the flickering cursor and slowdowns when I move it. This issue is quite a bit less noticeable when I lower the resolution, but it is undoubtedly still there. I also get massive CPU spikes whenever I move the cursor. I guess that's why the game slows down.

I also installed the DirectX9 components and updated my graphics drivers, but It didn't seem to make a difference.

EDIT: I even tried installing it on a virtual machine running XP professional. Oddly enough, the cursor issue is still there. I still get massive CPU spikes whenever I move the cursor.