Tiberian Sun LAN play

trigg_27

Question

My boy recently picked up a copy of Tiberian Sun on CD and I would like to play a game with him.

We're connecting the two computers directly via crossover cable and have both installed the game from CD and then patched to 2.03

However, after we click the LAN button on the main menu, his computer shows both of our names under "players" but my computer only shows mine. I've tried completely disabling the firewalls on both machines but this hasn't worked.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, short of us bothe playing through an online connection?

I'm also confused as to why the two computers are showing differently when they have identical installations

4 answers to this question

if you can't see him but he can see you then its your computer causing the problem (firewall/closed port)

try to put cncnet inside of your game folders and start it once (you don't need to play online, it will just extract a LAN patch)

if it still doesn't work then try to play via the online server (make sure to disable the "faster peer-to-peer" option if you got the same problem online)

Thanks for your help!

Downloading CNCNET onto my pc did nothing, but adding it to his has put both of our names in the Players box on both computers.

However, I'm now stuck on the next step.  When I click the "New" button in the bottom right of the screen, my name disappears from the players list, but no game is created in the lobby for him to join. Again its probably something simple that I'm missing but its fair to say I'm getting a little frustrated.

I'm desperately trying to avoid playing over the internet since the connection we have here means lag is almost inevitable...

the WSock patch didn't help :(

I'm going to try uninstalling the CD Version of the game and download the game with CNCNET and everything on it to both computers. Hopefully that will do the trick, and if not it still means we'll have the Firestorm expansion too.