Yuri's Revenge 16bit color problems

vvgamepro

Question

So I haven't played the game since Windows 7, and I had the urge tonight. After trying unsuccessfully to play RA2 I decided I'd go play a skirmish in RA2YR. I might add that this is TUC from Origin. Unfortunately, when I load a map, I get a ridiculous 16bit color with small resolution, not to mention the game is lagging horribly. I've searched around the forums and I adjusted the resolution in the .ini (Only made it worse), tried downloading a patch that failed because the file did not match, tried editing the graphics settings in the Nvidia control panel, and lastly I tried running the game in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and SP3. No matter what, my game starts to load normally, and loads like crap, then when I exit the round the menu shows up broken as well. I was unable to post the pictures on here, but they are shared to my dropbox if people aren't against downloading them direct. If you notice the screen is cut in half, and my mouse is in a dark area, but the screen tip shows I am about to hit the main menu button.

I'll try to upload the pictures here so I don't have to use dropbox.

Edit: Tried multiple times, couldn't get the photo's to upload since they are too large, and a zip file is still too large. Didn't want to make multiple posts with the pictures so here's a dropbox link. If this is against forum rules I didn't see it when I read them, so someone please let me know of an alternative. Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iqwpcsgluxzx15u/AAC2AY_L7jcssz9jm-6ueADua?dl=0

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately, when I load a map, I get a ridiculous 16bit color with small resolution

That colour issue is easily solved with either DDWrapper or TS-DDraw, the latter of which is included in the cncnet online package for RA2/YR.

As a side note, you clearly have no idea what "16-bit colour" means. It does not mean "16 colours". RA2 is always in 16-bit colour. It means each colour is saved in 2 bytes (=16 bits), meaning, practically, the game can use a whopping 65.536 different colours.

Thanks for responding so quickly. Yes I misspoke about the colors. Thank you for pointing me to the CNCNet client. I was under the impression that it was for multiplayer support only. I was unaware it would work for skirmish. The game works wonderfully. Now I'll have to go about importing some custom maps. Though I'm sure I'll find all of the info I need in the map section of the forums. Thanks again.

Well, the graphics patch is just a file (ddraw.dll) dropped in the game folder, which overrides the default Windows system library the game tries to use simply by being named the same, and being in the folder, so as long as that file is in there, it will affect the game, no matter whether you run it through the cncnet client or the normal way ;)