Island Hopping (4pl)

nariac

Island maps are always a difficult thing to do in Tiberian Dawn. Without naval units, it's usually too easy to turtle, and too hard to assault using helicopters alone. That said, I thought it might be a fun challenge to make an island map which tries to address these issues. And so Island Hopping was born. Most of the time making this map was spent on the coastline - a great deal of it had to be handcrafted.

As you can see from the preview, the starting "islands" are rather small and cramped - you won't be able to build your whole base there, although it does make your Construction Yard fairly safe at the beginning. Tiberium on the starting islands is also fairly sparse. In addition, the starting islands can be severely threatened by artillery on the main landmass. If you lose control of the battle there, you won't be safe for long.

At the start of the game, a neutral Chinook will land for each player to capture, so they can make inroads onto the main battleground - the doughnut shaped landmass in the middle. Capturing the neutral hospital will let you build your primary assault base in a location with more space, and more Tiberium.

The bridges leading to each forward base are sealed with concrete walls - this is in place purely to stop an early infantry rush from destroying a players Hospital before they can capture it. Not sure how necessary this consideration is, an argument could be made that if a player is too slow to cap the Hospital, maybe they ought to lose!

In the very centre of the map is another island, with a fairly safe Tiberium field in the middle. However, multiple players can assault this island at the same time, since there is a Tech Centre to capture at all four corners.

Island_Hopping_small.jpg.c7d0c32425204390e10be23d7e49b606.jpg

scm100ea.BIN

scm100ea.INI

• Like 1

looks interesting... I'd just advise making the 2 Chinooks that land in the north belong to house "neutral" with a North edge.  That way in case somebody plays with starting units, there's no danger of the northern choppers getting shot down.  Island maps are tough in regards to getting the balance right :)

I'd just advise making the 2 Chinooks that land in the north belong to house "neutral" with a North edge.  That way in case somebody plays with starting units, there's no danger of the northern choppers getting shot down.

Good thinking, Batman. :D I shall make that change!