RA95 spawn crash

tetsuo2010

Question

hello, running win 7 here. I downloaded the program and it won't start a game. I keep getting RA95 spawn crash for multiplayer. Im amazed i can't find any similar problem already in the forums. someone told me to delete the program? and re-install the files... that make 0 sense. Why would this download have already corrupt files in it? that's just dumb.

Anyway, i have run as administrator my settings should be fine. any help would be great.

9 answers to this question

hello, running win 7 here. I downloaded the program and it won't start a game. I keep getting RA95 spawn crash for multiplayer. Im amazed i can't find any similar problem already in the forums. someone told me to delete the program? and re-install the files... that make 0 sense. Why would this download have already corrupt files in it? that's just dumb.

Anyway, i have run as administrator my settings should be fine. any help would be great.

Sometimes a download can become corrupt as they download due to connection issues or something similar.

Anyway, can you tell us more about the crash? What does the error message say? What did you try to do to that made it crash?

Someone told me there were game files to install? i clicked on DL and install for playing online...sooo downloading the campaign is anthoer option. Do i need to install campaign in order to play online? that makes no sense.

You don't have to install the campaign to play online.

Well, i get "RA95 spawn.exe has stopped working" after attempting to start a game. That's exactly what it says. I've tried rebooting, assigning compatability for win 7 and win xp rev 3, umm creating my own, still wont work. The game is funky playing in skirmish offline, it seems emulated since the screen is smaller and the scroll is different.

I have 0 antivirus, firewall is shut down and i allowed anything that had a RA95 name to it, the Cnc program as well. The program is located at "c:\programfiles x86\redalert1_online"  and the campaign is installed in the same folder. Running out of ideas...

What do you mean with smaller screen and different scroll? Assigning compatibility modes might not be a good idea as they might conflict with other compatibility things already applied to RA.

It's strange that SP works, but not MP. Have you tried running skirmish through CnCNet or are you using the old standard skirmish?

Do you have a ra95dump file in your RA folder? If you have please upload it.

I think i meant resolution, but im not worried i read somewhere you can full screen the game. Yes i ran Skirmish through the game not Cnc, started up a story mode and played one game on a small map. I have the same error when i try to play cnc skirmish mode adding an AI player. I am uploading Ra95crash.dmp  hopefully that's the one you are reffering to.

...I played another mission all the way through this time offline story mode, and everytime after i complete one. The part where it tells you your stats, casualties and stuff. The game wants to crash, but then recovers. It will say program stopped, then i click and it recovers...

I am playing on a laptop so maybe video has something to do with it.

ra95crash.dmp

I figured it out. I opened Config and changed video to DDwraper instead of CnC DDraw and it worked. Sounds like a video problem. Also running RA95-spawn.exe directly would only put me in offline mode, yes it works though. Also, this isn't very well set up. I don't think there is one person who can just DL and have it work. You would have to change some setting in config to get it to work, i would suggest adding an additional instruction to mess with the config settings in order for the game to work. Because that is not very clear around here. Alrighty, talk to you later.

That's interesting so it was an issue with CnC-DDraw.

Not many people have issues. So when they show up they are usually local to the computer they show up on. There are plenty of people who are able to install and just run the game hence why there are usually quite a few people playing RA1 so your solution does not apply to everyone.

Can you list the components in your PC for reference?