Soft lock on launch

Playergh

Question

So I just installed D2K on my computer, and I'm feeling pretty stoked to start playing. I launched a skirmish match against some bots and it was fun. So I thought "Why not try the campaign?". Only problem is, I go to the launcher, press "Launch Campaign", the intro plays, and the game doesn't progress any further. It stays on a black screen, and I can't alt-tab out of it to end the task with task manager.

These are my video settings:

Video BackBuffer [ ]

Show FPS [X]

Single Processor Affinity [X]

Disable Max Windowed Mode [X]

Use Improved FPS Limiter [X]

Force DirectDraw Emulation [ ]

Cutscene Change Resolution [ ]

Disable High DPI Scaling [ ]

Resolution: 1024x768

Bits Per Pixel: 16

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks in advance. :d2k:

6 answers to this question

So I just installed D2K on my computer, and I'm feeling pretty stoked to start playing. I launched a skirmish match against some bots and it was fun. So I thought "Why not try the campaign?". Only problem is, I go to the launcher, press "Launch Campaign", the intro plays, and the game doesn't progress any further. It stays on a black screen, and I can't alt-tab out of it to end the task with task manager.

Video BackBuffer [ ]

Show FPS [X]

Try to enable Dxwnd + GDI Mode to see if that makes any difference. Window mode might be an option too if it still doesn't work

Video BackBuffer [ ]

Show FPS [X]

Try to enable Dxwnd + GDI Mode to see if that makes any difference. Window mode might be an option too if it still doesn't work

GDI Mode is already on. The problem isn't exactly that I can't alt-tab. It's more that when I do alt-tab, the black screen of the game overpowers the desktop, so I can't go to the task manager to close the program. But I'll definitely try windowed mode.

EDIT: Windowed mode got tried, and it failed. The exact same issue appeared, and the desktop got REALLY weird. The Dune 2000 application itself seemed to flicker in and out of existence at times, and the big black box was staring me right in the face, still overpowering everything else on the screen.

Just noticed you have videobackbuffer disabled, any reason for that? What operation system do you have?

I'm using Winows 8.1. The options menu mentioned that I might get some better performance if I turn it off, which is very appealing to me as I have a very bad computer.