Specify Hosted Server

Dirtrunner702

Question

Hello, I recently spun up a dedicated server and would like to know if my friends and I can specify my server since its the closest to all of us here in the Las Vegas Valley? I see the option to password protect it but I do not see a way to select the server when creating a game.

If not I can just host it regardless since I don't see one close to Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

That fully depends on what game you are playing, for YR you can select the server manually.

For the other games you can't select the server since these games can use multiple servers inside 1 game, for each connection between 2 players there will be a connection test on all servers to find out which one is the fastest for the connection between these 2. In most cases no server will be used since the fastest connection is peer-to-peer (direct connection between 2 players)

C&C1, Red Alert 1, Tiberian Sun and Dune 2000 have all the automatic connection test and will most likely use peer-to-peer for your games since that almost always works.

Forcing it would be a bad idea, your games would just run slower (lag)

If your server is good and all players have stable connection to it then it will be used (if peer-to-peer doesn't work).

BTW, are you asking this because of a problem? Do your games run slow?