RA2/YR and CnCNet on Linux (Mint) ?

YuriTD88

Question

Does anybody know how / did anybody get the CnCNet client to work on Linux? I have the latest Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and got both RA2 and YR to work "alright" with some regedit additions and some DLL's including the ddraw.dll in the game folder, through Wine. The mouse ingame flickers a little and moves a little different than under Windows, but other than that it seems to run fine. If anyone got any info on this, that would help me as well :)

The only thing I can't get running through Wine is the CnCNet client right now. Has anybody got experience with this? I've searched the forums for Linux info, but didn't find a way to run it.

4 answers to this question

I guess I have to try installing dotnet through winetricks or something. Maybe it will help some.

More info on RA2 and YR under Linux to anyone who is interested:

- I do notice more chance of internal errors on YR when playing under Linux. Happened twice when I played a longer game. I also don't think it's the unit count, because I had eliminated a couple AI before it even crashed.

- Also, when I start RA2, I first have to alttab out of it and get back in it, to actually start playing. Also the preview maps when selecting game options is not looking so well. Luckily this is not the case with YR

I tried various stuff with winetricks / playonlinux. Once I got the clientdx (I think this one) to work, but it wouldnt read the settings and all. Starting a game through it didnt work.

What exact .NET version do I need to test?