Desert Terrain for RA1

Bullet

Question

Hi @ all

I have a question and i have no answer before. I want to put desert terrain into RA1 instead of the ugly shitty temperate terrain, where you can see every pixel.

By the desert terrain it is not this case so i want to change the terrains and i have seen that it works on the RA1 Star Wars Mod Site: http://ra2sw.planetcnc.gamespy.com/screenshots.htm

Look at the Screenshots and it looks great. Its the same desert terrain like in C&C1.

I have no idea how to change the terrains. I dont know how they had it done and i want to know it because i dont want to see at pixels the whole time and so you have a much better graphic because the teamperate terrain with its pixels is everywhere to see. I already posted in their forums but i dont get any answers.

If you know how to change which files to change terrains then help me please!!

10 answers to this question

well, i can tell u:

u have to add/change the desert/temperate templates into/in the mix files. u can edit them with the XCC Utilities. Get the XCC Utilities here!

Or go here:

http://cnc-comm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66

But this is not enough... u need C&C95 and Red Alert to get the specific mix files which includes the templates.... (.tmp/.shp)

I created a mix file, but it is not perfectly working... im sry... up to now, i can only tell u that u have to search the WWW for a mix file for red alert which is patching the temperate skin into desert skin...

btw: this topic has to be in the Repair Bay :roll:

Ok when i put the desert.mix file from C&C1 into the RA1 directory and call it temperat.mix then all in the game is black and you can just see the units and graphic bugs when you move them. And when i put the desert.mix file into the main.mix file with XCC Mixer and call it temperat.mix again then the same happens. And in the internet i dont find any mix files or Mods which modify the game with desert terrain :-(

Ähm this is not actually the terrain on the screenshots which i linked. And its just templates. Its not exchanges temperate terrain with desert terrain and so you have to do every map new and have to mix the maps with desert terrain and temperate roads and cliffs :-( This is not really what i wanted but anyway thx for the templates also when it is without the right cliffs and roads for the template to make maps. :|

Yeah thats the right desert terrain from C&C1 but not more. There are missing all the other things like stones cliffs and roads. So when you play all that was green is now brown but the egdes of rivers or roads are still green. So its all mixed :-( Thats not really looking good. So you just can make own maps with just trees because they have no green edge.

I already tried to put all the missing things from C&C1 with XCC Mixer into that file but that dont work. Then its the same like before. So if the rest would also be included, it would be perfect. Maybe somewhere in the internet there is this file with working templates. But at the Star Wars mod site there are also no cliffs rivers and raods included like you can see on the screenshots. Perhaps it will never be working completely so better hope for a high resolution Patch :)

I already tried to put all the missing things from C&C1 with XCC Mixer into that file but that dont work.

The games themselves (C&C95, Red Alert, TibSun...) are accessing the files with names which are in the MIX files included.

So try to create a new MIX file with your "MIX Editor" (copy an existing MIX file, open it with MIX Editor and delete all included files! Rename/Save it to TEMPERAT or SNOW.mix, maybe better to rename it to SC-001.mix!!! There u have a new MIX file :P).

Open with XCC Mixer the DESERT.MIX from C&C95 and the TEMPERAT.MIX or SNOW.MIX from Red Alert! Notice all names (!!!) either from the TEMPERAT.mix or SNOW.mix! Make comparisons with the DESERT and TEMPERAT/SNOW.mix, which names are the same in the DESERT and TEMPERAT/SNOW.mix and which names have to be renamed... u understand...

Extract all files from the DESERT.mix into a new folder. Rename all the files, as the files exist in the TEMPERAT/SNOW.mix from Red Alert. Make comparisons with C&C95 and RA via XCC Mixer!!! It takes a while... :P

After renaming them all, put the new renamed files into your new MIX file with the MIX Editor.

EXAMPLE:

C&C95 - DESERT.mix - includes clear1.des

extract it to a new folder >>>>> rename it to clear1.tem, as shown in Red Alert's TEMPARAT.mix or into clear1.sno as shown in SNOW.mix of Red Alert.

Put the modified file into the SC-001.mix.

I hope this small guide helps u.