Can keeping your Radar be worthy sometimes?

Hungry Mike

I know its seen like a sin to TS pros, they all sell their radars; and rightly so. But 5 days ago, a new player asked me, whether Radars can be good accassionly. Since i am only middle tier, i would like to hear the opinions of the wise, high ranks of TS: Can keeping a radar be good in a certain time? Did you ever keep it and did this ever help you winning a game?

For instance: I played a 3vs3 against Nate 1 week ago. He was so hungry to get my seemingly badly defed base, that he went diss rush; while his rush got rekt, i CCed his whole base. I ask myself: Wouldnt he have survived, would he have kept his radar alive? Who knows...

Edited by Hungry Mike

On 2/7/2020 at 12:10 PM, Hungry Mike said:

I know its seen like a sin to TS pros, they all sell their radars; and rightly so. But 5 days ago, a new player asked me, whether Radars can be good accassionly. Since i am only middle tier, i would like to hear the opinions of the wise, high ranks of TS: Can keeping a radar be good in a certain time? Did you ever keep it and did this ever help you winning a game?

For instance: I played a 3vs3 against Nate 1 week ago. He was so hungry to get my seemingly badly defed base, that he went diss rush; while his rush got rekt, i CCed his whole base. I ask myself: Wouldnt he have survived, would he have kept his radar alive? Who knows...

Mike, having a mini nap is very useful which is why pre-cncnet the most common cheat was one that allowed you to have a mini map without a radar.

The reason it’s sold in high level game play is because it gives you money that you need to invest elsewhere and buying it again later on is an investment that could be made into offense/defense.

Furthermore, it’s a crutch that arguably reduces your awareness skills if you are depending on it. 

Personlly, I tend to rebuild my radar as I expand to middle if I’m ahead because when my opponent is in desperation mode they might start to depend on sneaky attacks similar to the scenario you mentioned. But I would only consider building it if my lead was significant and I did a poor job scouting for some reason.

Practice your scouting and development of your map awareness skills so that nothing the radar gives you is relevant. And invest that money towards your unit production. It’s much more likely that Nate lost out of being rusty than not having a radar.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 10:17 PM, Black said:

Personlly, I tend to rebuild my radar as I expand to middle if I’m ahead because when my opponent is in desperation mode they might start to depend on sneaky attacks similar to the scenario you mentioned.

Hahaha. But interesting: Thx for your view on the matter! So a Radar can be comfortable even for pros and people used a cheat in the early times of TS? Haha, didnt know that! Well, i agree with all you said (except the little drive-by-shot at my sneaky CC attack ;) ).

You are also right with Nade losing to this CC: A missing Radar wasnt the reason for it; but it could have helped - although he wouldnt have gotten enough $ for his diss rush without selling it, so yeah.

I think against HItman, with all i speced at Terr, it could be helpful for his opponents to keep the Radar, when in middle game... he always sneaks with disses into a  base, while attacking with tits, and does it quiet successfully.

Thx for the inside information!

Edited by Hungry Mike