Reconnection errors...

JeffyB

Hi. I live in Buenos Aires. I like to play Tiberian Sun against my brother in Canada, but almost whenever I send a huge mass of units to attack his base there is a reconnection error, and the game ends. The error happens frequently, so we gave up playing. Any idea what´s causing it? (I don´t know what system information to provide, other than that we are both on Windows 10...)

On 4/21/2020 at 6:27 AM, JeffyB said:

... whenever I send a huge mass of units to attack his base there is a reconnection error... Any idea what´s causing it?

These are CnCnet rules for online limits. Exceed them an you will get sync error.

; ******* Object Heap Maximums *******
; These are the absolute maximum number of these object types
; allowed in the game (at any one time).
[Maximums]
Players=8                ; ipx layer limits this to 8 maximum
Aircraft=150
Anim=100
Building=650
Bullet=50
Factory=32              ; 32 is minimum for 8 player game
Infantry=550
Overlay=1               ; special case -- only needs one
Projectile=20           ; projectile types, not actual projectiles
Smudge=1                ; special case -- only needs one
Team=60
TeamType=60
Template=1              ; special case -- only needs one
Terrain=500             ; trees and rocks
TrigType=80             ; trigger types
Trigger=200             ; triggers themselves
Unit=650
Vessel=150
Warhead=10              ; warhead types, not actual warheads
Weapon=55               ; weapon types, not actual weapons

Ok, so we´re playing on the map Tiberium Forest cuz it has a lot of blue tiberium trees (vinifera, right?) for money. I must have had like 40-50 light infantry in my base, 7 war factories, 4 refineries, 7 or 8 harvesters, and a team of like 40-45 titans to attack. I assume my brother had a similar amount of units and structures. He was building a lot of reapers. Also our game isn´t that long, like maybe 30 minutes at the most. I dunno. Does that sound like it would exceed the limit?

Edited by JeffyB
Added mention about length of game time.
  • Check 1

15 hours ago, JeffyB said:

Ok, so we´re playing on the map Tiberium Forest cuz it has a lot of blue tiberium trees (vinifera, right?) for money. I must have had like 40-50 light infantry in my base, 7 war factories, 4 refineries, 7 or 8 harvesters, and a team of like 40-45 titans to attack. I assume my brother had a similar amount of units and structures. He was building a lot of reapers. I dunno. Does that sound like it would exceed the limit?

100 + moving units on the map is a lot, especially if it took you a long time to make them. Not sure if that’s the cause or not. Make sure you are using the vet patch version of the map and have all updates installed.

As long as you have windows 10 it’s unlikely that your computer specs have anything to do with it. Connection stability shouldn’t be that relevant with only 2 players in the game either. 

Most likely it’s just a factor of the length of the game + total units moving around. 

Consider playing games without Firestorm option on. There may be some errors associated with it that nobody has bothered to fix since virtually nobody uses it. 

On 4/23/2020 at 4:36 PM, Black said:

Make sure you are using the vet patch version of the map and have all updates installed.

[...]

Consider playing games without Firestorm option on. There may be some errors associated with it that nobody has bothered to fix since virtually nobody uses it. 

I assume I have all of the updates installed since it checks for updates every time I connect to CnCNet.

What is the "vet patch version of the map" and where can I find it?

Did you mean that most people turn Firestorm off? Firestorm units are the best (except the limpet drone, lol).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JeffyB said:

I assume I have all of the updates installed since it checks for updates every time I connect to CnCNet.

What is the "vet patch version of the map" and where can I find it?

Did you mean that most people turn Firestorm off? Firestorm units are the best (except the limpet drone, lol).

Yes, 99% of players play with Firestorm off. I agree with you that some of the changes were neat but the majority of the player base rejected it and remained on the base game without the expansion.

Basically the reason why is a few community leaders from back when it was released proclaimed that they didn’t like it and the all of their followers and suck ups globbed onto their opinion. 

I am only speculating that Firestorm is the reason for your errors. Many recon errors are caused by glitches around units and structures (for example the NOD laser used to cause recon if you scrolled your screen past one at the wrong time while it was firing). It’s possible that some of the Firestorm specific units have bugs that nobody has ever fixed due to the scarcity of its use.

Vet maps will say “vet 2.7” in the map title and can be found in their own group category on the map selection menu. You can find a change log for all the updates associated with it on this forum as well as our Discord channel which you can access by clicking the discord button on the top right of the cncnet client. 

Ok so we played again, still with Firestorm on, but we played a Giants 3v3 map instead. We played basically the same way, filling up the map with Titans and Reapers, and the reconnection error did not occur. So I assume the error has something to do with the map Tiberium Forest...