RA1 Units with weird colors

DarkVen9109

LOL. That's because the remap range from C&C SHP files isn't the same as RA. You need to convert them to Red Alert palette to make them work correctly.

A similar bug happens with Red Alert's 'wooden' crate. You'll notice it has exactly the same colour. That's because it was copied from C&C1 instead of converted correctly.

If you put the purppals-xcc.mix into your RA1 folder that I sent to you do the below in XCC Mixer

1: Go to View - Palet - RedAlert - ccpwconv.pal

1a: Go to View - Palet and make sure that "Use for conversion" is check marked.

2: Now go to the C&C 95 unit/building you want to convert and Copy as PCX.

3: Go to View - Palet - RedAlert - raprconv.pal

4: The unit/building you Copy as PCX will be in the "second file browser position" as PCXes.

5: Go to unit/building 000.pcx and Copy as SHP

6: In the "second file browser position" you will see unit/building.shp It now it will be in the RA color format.

Updated!

Umm, Alien, you kinda missed the step of actually opening the frames in an image editor and loading the new palette into them. Copying pcx to SHP is completely unaffected by what palette you got selected. You NEED to open the images in an image editor and load the RA purple palette into them, matching nearest colour.

Also, the pcx files will NOT end up in your XCC folder, they'll end up in whatever folder you choose as second file browser position.

I did everything and still not working

I may have left something out. Go to View than Palet and make sure that "Use for conversion" is check marked. I updated my past post to add this.

When you use the ccpwconv.pal The black background and yellow remap will be purple when viewing C&C95 shps.

When you Copy as PCX It sould put out all frames of the shp In the "second file browser position" Now open one of those frames and make sure it looks the same as it did in XCC Mixer, purple background and remap.

If it is Go to step 3

Umm, Alien, you kinda missed the step of actually opening the frames in an image editor and loading the new palette into them. Copying pcx to SHP is completely unaffected by what palette you got selected. You NEED to open the images in an image editor and load the RA purple palette into them, matching nearest colour.

Also, the pcx files will NOT end up in your XCC folder, they'll end up in whatever folder you choose as second file browser position.

You can use XCC mixer to convet all of the frames at once.

First purppals-xcc.mix. This is purple palette that XCC mixer can use. I placed it in my RA1 folder

http://www.mediafire.com/?39vbp47g887ttuc

When you Copy as PCX all of the PCXes will have what ever palette you were using with XCC Mixer saved in them.

When you Copy as PCX with the ccpwconv.pal (For C&C95) than Copy as SHP with the raprconv.pal (For RA1) XCC Mixer will do the matching nearest colour for you. No need for any image editor.

I have never messed with "second file browser position" I've hidden that window since 1999 and left it that way. All my Copy as *BLANK* go to my XCC Folder.

That's just because you never changed it from its default location. The fun part is that the copying works BOTH WAYS, meaning you can do your conversion much quicker:

-Set the palette to ccprconv.pal

-copy the SHP as PCX, into whatever location you got in the second file browser

-Check "Use for conversion"

-Set the palette to raprconv.pal

-Right click on the first PCX of the range (number 0000) in the second file browser, and copy as SHP, and it'll end up back in the location of the first file browser :P

You just have to make sure the side you try to copy TO doesn't have a mixfile open. You can't put conversion results straight into mixfiles using the Copy functions.

I'm fine with how it is. It's nice to know that every thing is going to one place. This way I can't lose any thing. :laugh:

That should work just fine do do the convert. I haven't uncheck the "Use for conversion" since 2001ish. I kinda forgot about it...

Ew. Why would you even WANT that?

Also, this'll work better, probably:

vAr4i.gif

It's a resize guide pic I made ages ago. The blue area is what to take as final image. The purple is what to stretch it to.

I'm sure there are programs around to do automatic bulk resizes like that on hundreds of frames. Heck, I think RAD tools can do it, just by getting a bit creative with the cropping settings :)