Grizzly Plastic Tanks Vs Op Rhinos [Video Inside]

XMaDTanKX aka T-90

It's been said over the years that these two units are kinda unbalanced especially by allied players who claim their tanks are 'plastic' and Soviet Rhinos are overpowered but, what's hidding behind this statement?

It's quite known that in balanced human tank battles the victory goes usually for the Rhinos, (and by balanced I mean money spent on tanks, not amount of them), Rhino always seem to win easier if there's not other units around like Gi's or Rockies but... after looking for some info and/or videos I couldn't find anything clear so I decided to make an analysis and video myself. There you go...

I make clear I'm Soviet player (not pro but decent) and I've been as neutral and impartial as I could. 

Let's discuss people!!

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90

• XMaDTanKX aka T-90 changed the title to Grizzly Plastic Tanks Vs Op Rhinos [Video Inside]
  • 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

I realize that's a necro, but I think I know the reason:

Sure, Grizzlies lose in a normal tank vs tank battle against Rhinos due to their poor armor, range and firepower compared to the latter, but they benefit more from fodders because they have a lot lower ThreatPosed value in 15 as opposed to a Rhino's 40. This value determines how much the attention a unit gets from the enemy as a target. In AI skirmishes, higher values also make the enemy build more stuff to try to ward off the unit AFAIK.

So when Grizzlies with fodders fight against Rhinos and fodders, early-game infantry units have a similar ThreatPosed value to a Grizzly's, so when a Rhino attacks the Grizzly team, it'll be baited into attacking a fodder more often than not. But when a Grizzly attacks the enemy, it'll usually pick the correct target in Rhinos, which happen to have a much higher threat rating than early-game fodder.

Fun fact: that's also the other statistical difference between Grizzlies and Lashers. Most people say Lashers are strictly a bit better than Grizzlies thanks to the higher projectile speed offering more accuracy on bumpy terrain, but Lashers also have a ThreatPosed value of 40, shared by Rhinos and various powerful/advanced tanks (only Demolition Trucks have a higher threat value in 50). That makes them worse than even Grizzlies in early-game battles without a Rhino's power to make up for that, but also decent fodders themselves in the late game, where Grizzlies fail as both damage dealers and fodders because they can't draw enough enemy attention. So if you somehow have the ability to build both Grizzlies and Lashers, build Grizzlies early on, but as more advanced units pour out of war factories, use Lashers as cheap and fast fodders.

A lower threat rating also makes a unit better against mind control, because it'll be more likely to hit the mind controlling enemy unit or structure than its mind controlled comrade. That's also why the Mastermind is so effective against expensive and advanced land units (save Mirages with their low threat rating, speed and stealth until exposed by Brutes).

You can actually buff or nerf units even for competitive play just by changing their threat value.

Edited by Pyrite
  • Upvote 1

Someone page Mr Marijuana and ask if he can make another Rhino War Arena map with each side having an allied player with Grizzly tanks. Would be a good way to test rhinos and Grizzly together. Usually these maps of his don't have much fodder though, so there's that.

BTW testing them both against mind control would also be neat. It would come down to the Rhino's power, bulk and range vs the Grizzly's cheapness and low threat rating.

PS. They both 5-shot themselves, but the Grizzly is just a tiny bit better at withstanding its own weapon. Maybe it can be the Allies' answer to the Flak Tracks in terms of overloading Masterminds.

Edited by Pyrite
  • Upvote 1