Crash and error while loading mission in campaign

Grove4life5

Hello all,

I was having fun playing the GDI campaign again (chosing the missions I hadn't before) and I am now playing Ion Cannon Strike (3th last mission).

I noticed I wasn't able to build at the very bottom of the map so I tried to change the resolution but then the game just crashed when loading the savegame.

I have since put every setting back as it was before but I still cannot load my savegame, I get this error everytime and my mouse will be stuck in a small section (640x400) of my screen. But luckily I know a cool community I can ask for help!

I can still load every other savegame, I have put a screenshot of the error message and my settings in here, I still run Windows 10, my drivers are up to date and nothing else on my PC has changed in 4 years.

If you need any more info just ask.

Please don't tell me I lost all my progress!

Screenshot_1.png

Settings.png

Edited by Grove4life5

Did you actually save while hovering the placement grid over the bugged area? Because, from what I can tell (I can actually look up that 00431940 address) the error occurs in a piece of code checking something related to what cells the mouse cursor is currently on.

13 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Did you actually save while hovering the placement grid over the bugged area? Because, from what I can tell (I can actually look up that 00431940 address) the error occurs in a piece of code checking something related to what cells the mouse cursor is currently on.

Oh man did I fear to be asked that, it's probably true because I was in kind of a rush to finish my base properly. Does this mean I'm fucked? I don't have a backup of this campaign.

Edited by Grove4life5

Okay, so, I debugged through it, got to the point where it crashed, but since I was in the debugger, I could apparently just... tell it to ignore the crash. Huh. Never realised that was possible. Anyway, then I messed with some raw values in memory to make it correctly abort the function it was executing and continue the rest of the game normally.

I'm still surprised that that actually worked.

After that, the game loaded correctly. Since I was playing in 640x400, I placed down the wall for you, and re-saved the game.

savegame-gdi13.zip

....and then I built two more helipads and destroyed the one building you need to destroy in that mission. Honestly, never saw much of a point in losing to much time on that one. You can technically finish it in five minutes with your initial forces :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Okay, so, I debugged through it, got to the point where it crashed, but since I was in the debugger, I could apparently just... tell it to ignore the crash. Huh. Never realised that was possible. Anyway, then I messed with some raw values in memory to make it correctly abort the function it was executing and continue the rest of the game normally.

I'm still surprised that that actually worked.

After that, the game loaded correctly. Since I was playing in 640x400, I placed down the wall for you, and re-saved the game.

savegame-gdi13.zip 20.34 kB · 1 download

....and then I built two more helipads and destroyed the one building you need to destroy in that mission. Honestly, never saw much of a point in losing to much time on that one. You can technically finish it in five minutes with your initial forces :D

Oh, don't mind my way of playing... I like to build a complete base then completely destroy all enemy presence before finishing the mission. It's about the journey....

But how on earth do you build walls on the bottom? I didn't even expect it to work when I set low resolution and still can't if I do.

Anyway thanks! You're a real gem.

• Like 1

Seems any resolution with the height set to 400 works for placing on the bottom row.

1047754131_command__conquer-2022-12-24-13_15_32.png.77656c01450ab39a970211dc965871c7.png

My game is currently set to 856x400 stretched to 1920x1080, using nearest neighbour scaling. You can set that in the advanced options. This optimally fills up the whole screen, at the game's intended aspect ratio, by widening the in-game viewport just a bit.

(The aspect ratio of C&C is a bit odd; DOS C&C is a 320x200 game that was meant to be seen in 4:3, but as 4:3 resolution it would be 320x240. The old CRT monitors this game was made for didn't care and just stretched it out to the full area. This means that in its intended resolution, the pixels simply aren't square. So as bizarre as it sounds, C&C's height is intended to be stretched out by 1/5th. This is also noticeable on the GDI logos in the mission briefing videos; they aren't round unless corrected this way.)

CCConfigFull-1080p.png.45192087ca2b23bd5cbc52eeb6586efe.png

(UI is a bit different since this is the CnCNet version of the tool, where they tweaked a few things)

• Check 1