Starting a mod i wil name Red Alert - Tiberium Origins. Could use help....

kanecvr

I hate to rain on your parade Kanecvr but if your mod is taking place before Tiberian Dawn a few unit and buildings can't be used.

The Flame Tank, Stealth Tank, ORCA and Oblelisk were developed during Tiberian Dawn. The Mammoth Tank was developed during Tiberian Dawn from the old Soviet Mammoth Tank as well. (Pre EA spliting of Tiberium and Red Alert in to there own worlds) No work is give if Advanced Guard Tower developed during Tiberian Dawn however it is a good guess that it wasn't mass produced for front line use tell the later part of Tiberian Dawn.

Also the Chronosphere, Chrono Tank and Phase Transport were not developed any more after Red Alert. (Excluding EAs RA2). The Chronosphere was unstable and would cause a Chrono Vortex. The Chrono Tank was costly and weak as tank and the lone prototype Phase Transport and plans was taken by the Soviet in "Lets make a steal" and the Allied production facility it was at was destroyed.

The Soviet copy of the Phase Transport plans did find there way into the hands of Nod as they were used to build the Stealth Tank during Tiberian Dawn. As for the Soviet tech like the Tesla Coil and Iron Curtain. If the Allied force won the were like "Lost".

This is good stuff :) !  I know the Wheel of Ezekiel was developed by Kane during the Tiberium Wars, so was the Laser Technology used by the Obelisk of Light. The Flame Tank is also introduced by Kane during the NOD campaign of Tiberium Wars.  The GDI MLRS is however developed after the Red Alert war, so was the GDI medium tank, and both were available at the beginning of the Tiberium wars, just unavadible to the commander due to the tech level restirctions.

This is quite easy to explain. A commander is given the assets his superiors consider will be necessary for a certain mission, for economical and logistical reasons.

The tech level can't be taken as law of unit existence at a certain period of time. If the GDI did not heave their medium tank in TD mission 3, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It was developed by allied scientists even before official formation of GDI, during the time when it was called SPECOP9. 

Since my mod is a cross-over between the two universes, it will take place in the period immediately after the Red Alert war and the beginning of the first Tiberium Wars. TD units and buildings will be gradually introduced, replacing RA units.

I tough of making the initial NOD units and buildings a soviet tech three, as you command a fraction of USSR forces in the name of Kane, and gradually  evolve into the TD tech three, but I decided to take a more interesting approach, witch will explain why NOD forces use stuff from the allies, like the Light Tank and Gun turret, as opposed to the GDI who use weapons developed from soviet tech.

In my mod, the player will go trough the birth (canonically the have been around for ages) rise of NOD. In the first NOD mission, Kane will direct the Commander to hijack an allied Mobile Construction Vehicle from a research center in the ex-soviet country Ukraine, where the allies are studying soviet weapon systems and units. This will be used to make the first NOD base. It will be brought back to Sarajevo, where it will help give birth to what will later be called Temple Prime. From there, NOD will conduct missions to "acquire" certain technology, as well as stumble upon the lost Phase-Transport tech the soviets stole, deep in the ruins of an ex-soviet research installation. NOD scientists will reverse engineer this device, eventually giving birth to the Wheel of Ezekiel (NOD Stealth Tank). Before it will be available to the commander in the African theater (classic C&C1 Tib. Wars missions), two prototypes will be available for testing in Europe, and together with a Phase Transport used as a benchmark, will be deployed in Italy, during the mission where Tiberium is first discovered. The Tiberium meteor fell to earth after the allied victory. Nikolai Tesla's experiments (who defected to the allied forces after Stalin's Death) catch the attention of the Scrin (CnC wiki), who direct it to the earth. Now I always tough that it's the Cronosphere tech that would eventually attract the Scrin and Tiberium, but the CnC wiki states it was something Tesla was working on (possibly fiddling with the Chronosphere?) - would have been cool to be able to make an allied mission where the commander is on baby-sitting duty - defending the research compound where Tesla is conducting the experiments, when a meteor falls on top of it and obliterates it completely, but I think it's impossible to do with the RA1 engine.... maybe a script where a nuke is dropped on top of the base destroying it and spawning a structure "Meteor"?

The meteor lands in Italy, on the shores of the Tiber River. Other NOD missions will include the prototyping (or stealing of - haven't decidet yet) of Tiberium Harvester/Rafinery technology, and the development of a Tiberium oriented economy as it spreads on earth, preparing it for the arrival of the Scrin. The NOD campaign will preclude and coincide with the events in the first Tiberium War.

This is what I got for the NOD campaign so far... I appreciate any input.

The GDI will not appear until the last missions of my mod. NOD will first battle the allies and leftover soviet forces commanded by generals who remained loyal to Stalin even after his death, and fought to rebuild the soviet empire in his name, or for their own glory. NOD activity will be the cause for the formation of Special Operations Group 9, later called GDI. My mod will feature SpecOp9 as a playable side, with a limited Allied-GDI tech tree. First allied missions will initially feature SpecOp9 (formed as a result of NOD activity) and later the Global Defense Initiative.

I could replace the fakes, since arda allows me to remove the fake pip and resize the building's foundation, but I don't understand how the foundation logic works... maybe you guys know?

C&C style power plant has this foundation code:

Foundation.Cell0=0,0

Foundation.Cell1=0,1

Foundation.Cell2=1,1

Foundation.Update0=1,0

Resulting in

X

XX

XX

Totally wrong. First of all, the bib doesn't count. Secondly, you got the direction wrong. It's a straightforward "L" shape:

01 x

0 X_

1 XX

y

If you take the actual cell coordinates, as X,Y pairs, that's indeed cells (0,0) at the top, and (0,1) and (1,1) on the second row.

Because the top right cell also contains graphics, it needs to be refreshed despite not being part of the foundation, making it necessary to add (1,0) as 'update' cell.

For the Obelisk, you simply need (0,0) as passable but refreshed top cell (meaning, 'update'), and (0,1) as actual foundation cell below it. You'll also need to make sure it's treated as 1x2 building, since that affects which spot units will target as the building's 'center'.

Foundation=1,2

Foundation.Cell0=0,1

Foundation.Update0=0,0

For the record, all original C&C foundation and refresh grids can be found  in grids.ini, in this folder:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/inirules/

You can immediately see several examples of what the "update" mechanism does:

[PROC_Shape]
0=-X-
1=XXX
1=---

[PROC_Refresh]
0=X-X
1=---
2=XXX

[FIX_Shape]
0=-X-
1=XXX
2=-X-

[FIX_Refresh]
0=X-X
1=---
2=X-X

See? :)

I asked Alexb to adopt my 'graphical' grids system, but he didn't want to, because it would mean having to separate the grids into a separate list rather than keeping them in the building's data.

The Stealth Tank was only a prototype during TD  (Nod Mission 11 C&C Tiberian Dawn - Nod Mission 11 - Recapture Stealth Tank ) The first field testing of the Stealth Tank was done by the player during Nod Mission 11. There were no other Stealth Tanks any were.

Flame Tank, ORCA, Oblelisk and Advanced Guard Tower. They would be thing you could see inside of research bases but would never be a buildabe thing.  Orca had reached field production by Nod 7B. The GDI Mammoth Tank wasn't in production tell after Nod 10 Command and Conquer Gold [HD]: NOD Mission 10a Briefing

1 more thnig to take into account. Nod didn't have the funds to develop advanced tech or large armies since Tiberium is Nods source of funds to develop advanced.

The Stealth Tank was only a prototype during TD  (Nod Mission 11 C&C Tiberian Dawn - Nod Mission 11 - Recapture Stealth Tank ) The first field testing of the Stealth Tank was done by the player during Nod Mission 11. There were no other Stealth Tanks any were.

Flame Tank, ORCA, Oblelisk and Advanced Guard Tower. They would be thing you could see inside of research bases but would never be a buildabe thing.  Orca had reached field production by Nod 7B. The GDI Mammoth Tank wasn't in production tell after Nod 10 Command and Conquer Gold [HD]: NOD Mission 10a Briefing

1 more thnig to take into account. Nod didn't have the funds to develop advanced tech or large armies since Tiberium is Nods source of funds to develop advanced.

I really appreciate your input on this. I'll have a phase transport available in the Tiberium Discovery NOD mission (where the allied research base is leveled by a Tiberium meteor, and a small NOD strike force is sent to investigate. Stealth tanks will only be available in multiplayer and missions that take place after it's release, so my mod will be canon correct. Mammoth tank will not be available to SpecOP9 (pre TD), but will be available to the GDI, and in a SpecOp9 mission where the player must protect a research facility that is reverse engineering the soviet version, during a NOD attack. Singleplayer factions will be SpecOP9 and NOD. Nod will have full tech tree sans the Stealth Tank, Flame tank and Obelisk. SpecOp9 will not have the Mammoth tank and the Advanced Guard Tower - or maybe I'll introduce a new defense building with the same functionality for balance.

About the research thing - watching the ingame movies, Kane claims that NOD developed tiberium harvesting technology. So does the intro movie.... I'll need more research to make this canonical.

In another ideea, you thing NOD should have the tesla coil in SP?

Do you have any other ideeas or suggestions? What about the discovery mission? Should I make the tiberium landing site a research center, and kill of Tesla, or have it land in the middle of noware?

I could replace the fakes, since arda allows me to remove the fake pip and resize the building's foundation, but I don't understand how the foundation logic works... maybe you guys know?

C&C style power plant has this foundation code:

Foundation.Cell0=0,0

Foundation.Cell1=0,1

Foundation.Cell2=1,1

Foundation.Update0=1,0

Resulting in

X

XX

XX

Totally wrong. First of all, the bib doesn't count. Secondly, you got the direction wrong. It's a straightforward "L" shape:

01 x

0 X_

1 XX

y

If you take the actual cell coordinates, as X,Y pairs, that's indeed cells (0,0) at the top, and (0,1) and (1,1) on the second row.

Because the top right cell also contains graphics, it needs to be refreshed despite not being part of the foundation, making it necessary to add (1,0) as 'update' cell.

For the Obelisk, you simply need (0,0) as passable but refreshed top cell (meaning, 'update'), and (0,1) as actual foundation cell below it. You'll also need to make sure it's treated as 1x2 building, since that affects which spot units will target as the building's 'center'.

Foundation=1,2

Foundation.Cell0=0,1

Foundation.Update0=0,0

For the record, all original C&C foundation and refresh grids can be found  in grids.ini, in this folder:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/inirules/

You can immediately see several examples of what the "update" mechanism does:

[PROC_Shape]
0=-X-
1=XXX
1=---

[PROC_Refresh]
0=X-X
1=---
2=XXX

[FIX_Shape]
0=-X-
1=XXX
2=-X-

[FIX_Refresh]
0=X-X
1=---
2=X-X

See? :)

I asked Alexb to adopt my 'graphical' grids system, but he didn't want to, because it would mean having to separate the grids into a separate list rather than keeping them in the building's data.

thanks again Nyer. I understand how this works now. Will experiment ingame and report back.

Ok, so I used your foundation code, but the tower graphics clip on mouseover. If I place a unit under it, it's no longer messed up...

here is the code:

; Obelisk of light
[DOMF]
Foundation=1,2
Foundation.Cell0=0,1
Foundation.Update0=0,0
SelectionBracket=24,48
Name=Obelisk of Light
Image=OBEL
Cameo=OBELICON
Prerequisite=powr ;for testing - must be dome
Primary=Laser
Strength=600
Armor=wood
TechLevel=1 ; for testing - must be 8
Sight=8
Owner=Ukraine
Cost=500
Points=50
Power=110 ; for testing - must be -110
Sensors=yes
Powered=true
Crewed=yes
Adjacent=4
BaseNormal=yes

Screenshots:

placement.jpg.b368892dd2218901e36331f9f2d00fe2.jpg

no_mouseover.jpg.1eeb9a1788efeb4519c53b07e83894a5.jpg

mouseover_unitunder.jpg.93ee6c6722e9ea7f56ca132126ff298c.jpg

mouseover.jpg.0173f52f024d995c3b61123e4440edfa.jpg

Are your graphics actually 1x2 (24x48)? They seem wider. Or the foundation doesn't work correctly. It seems to want to center on a 2x2 for some reason.

That's what the foundation does, btw... it gives the basic frame to center the structure graphics on.

I'll report it on his testing thread, thanks.

Latest version of the mod is available below:

Changes:

- Obelisk and Advanced guard tower changed from [LAR1] and [LAR2] to [DOMF] and [WEPF] for skirmish and LAN games, so they will remap into team colors for multiplayer and not interfere with the campaign or Aftermath/Counterstrike missions.

EDITED: I've notified AlexB of the foundation bug...

UPDATED mix files and rules:

- Pillbox replaced with Advanced Guard Tower

- Cammo Pillbox replaced with Guard Tower

- LAR2 replaced with Obelisk for SP, and DOMF replaced with Obelisk for MP and skirmish.

- GDI mammoth has the same health as soviet mammoth now, but weapon does +20 damage

- 105mm from the GDI Medium now does 120 damage, allmost as much as the soviet heavy (65x2=130 damage)

Revised tech threes:

GDI

Power Plant

Advanced Power Plant

Barracks

Weapons Factory

Radar

Tech Center / Advanced Comm Center (multiplayer only)

Guard Tower

Advanced Guard Tower

AA Gun

GDI Medium

GDI Mammoth

Hummvee

MLRS (MSAM)

APC

GDI is now unable to build the Cronosphere, Gap generator, Cronotank and Phase transport

NOD - same as before

Allies - standard RA1 Tech tree

Soviet - standard RA1 Tech tree (V2RL replaced with SSM, removed Katyusha)

Tiberian_Origins.rar

Update alpha 07 changelist:

- Updated Advanced Guard Tower shape file. Previous version used the cropped one from Allen's Red Dawn mod, the new version uses the original 24x48 .shp from TD, recolored to fit the Red Alert palette.

- Updated conquer.mix file - winter cleaning.

Latest version of the mod + screenshot below.

Tiberian_Origins_alpha07.rar

agt.jpg.41b2941a00d5646a800fc2ce8b562426.jpg

• 2 months later...

The way to create interesting missions is to do it in the C# source code https://github.com/ScottNZ/OpenRA/commits/missions at the moment. :/ However https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2067 is on the agenda. This should get split up into re-usable traits so you can script missions without https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Compiling. It is just that no one except Scott currently does work on a campaign using OpenRA or announced that he is willing to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. It's been a while since I did any work on this, but after quite some time waiting for ARDA's development to progress, I've decided to switch to the openRA engine.

I will share with you the alpha03 version of the mod, which has most features implemented. To run the mod, you will need to download openRA from here http://openra.res0l.net/ and the mod from here http://www.datafilehost.com/d/6c348160 . To install, simply unrar the mod in your /openRA/mods folder, run the game and select the "Red Alert: Tiberian Origins" mod from the list.

To start a skirmish game, simply click on the "Host Game" button, select your faction, add an AI player and click "Start game"!

Features:

- all four factions are playable - Nod, GDI, Allies and Soviet.

- all factions have all or most of their units implemented, with distinct graphics and sounds.

- Tiberian dawn structures have woking IDLE annimations (NUKE, NUK2, HQ, EYE, FACT, etc)

- no units had to be replaced - all faction specific units are present (99% anyway) - including the commando (gdi/nod) and tanya (allies), the MLRS, the SSM launcher, etc. The soviets will get their own commando with his own set of sounds and graphics.

- all special abilities work - Paratropers, Parabombs, GPS satellite, Nuclear strikes (from Missile Silo and Temple of Nod), the GDI Ion Cannon.

*NOD and allied light tank have distinct graphics - NOD has LTNK graphics from C&C, Allied 1TNK has graphics from RA95. The nod Light Tank is named Scorpion Tank, is more expensive, has a better hp pool and uses a 6 shot autoloader gun. 

*GDI mammoth tank uses HTNK graphics form C&C and the soviet 4TNK uses graphics from RA95. The GDI Mammoth tank is named " Mammoth MK-II. It is more expensive, is a tiny bit faster and has more hitpoints then the soviet counterpart.

- all factions use the Red Alert Refinery, harvesters and War Factory. I'm still working on introducing the GDI war factory and NOD airstrip - but i'm having trouble with the game engine.

- standard resource is ORE (for now). Will be adding tiberium later - with C&C tiberium refinery and harvesters. Tiberium will probably replace red alert gems - and will be more valuable.

Known bugs:

- lots of balance issues

- NOD SSM launcher does not display ammo states correctly... can't figure this one out...

- Obelisk of light does not have a chargeup sound or animation, despite my best efforts... the laser beam animation works thought.

- Mine Layer can't lay mines - working on that.

Any bugs you discover, please report them! Also, I'm open to suggestions regarding balance and units.

Enjoy!

Alpha 4 release - get it here - http://www.datafilehost.com/d/f4961d9c

#########

# Changelog:

#########

GDI can now build an Airfield - gives two support powers, Spy Plane and Parabomb (dropped by an A10 Bomber like in C&C). Soviet parabombs are dropped by the Badger bomber.

GDI can now build the A10 Anti Tank aircraft - fires vulcan cannon - effective agains tanks.

Nod and GDI have can now build the Sub Pen and Naval Yard + Gunboats, destroyers (GDI) and submarines (NOD)