Tiberian Dawn players, heads up! CnCNet 5 tunneling with US and EU

hifi

Hello Commanders,

Finally the CnCNet 5 alpha supports tunneling and we have launched the tunnel test with two initial servers, one from the USA and one hosted on the main cncnet.org server in Germany.

If you are behind a restrictive NAT/router and living in the US and mostly play against US players, CnCNet 5 might be a better choice for you now than CnCNet 4 which only has one tunnel located in Germany.

Now that CnCNet 5 has tunneling it has way more features than CnCNet 4 had and is more user friendly. We strongly recommend ALL Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (C&C95) players to move to CnCNet 5 because of the advanced features and shortcomings of the LAN lobby on CnCNet 4.

Tiberian Dawn alpha thread: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2314.0

Red Alert alpha thread: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2242.0

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the idea of the next CnCNet version was to overcome tunneling of all traffic?

I never said CnCNet 5 will remove tunneling completely. It is impossible to make it work for everyone without having the option to tunnel. CnCNet 5 tunneling on the other hand allows scaling where CnCNet 4 runs solely on a single server.

In my supporting explanations I jogged on about how it was going to lower the bandwidth issues/etc.

Where did you get that specific impression matt? I have a feeling that someone said it sometime/somewhere.

Must have been a misunderstanding. I have not looked at the source code of CnCNet and I am not the expert here. From my (OpenRA) experience bandwidth is not the big issue in retro RTS games, but latency is, so it makes sense to have separate US and EU servers. That should make it a lot more lag-free for people from those continents.

Must have been a misunderstanding. I have not looked at the source code of CnCNet and I am not the expert here. From my (OpenRA) experience bandwidth is not the big issue in retro RTS games, but latency is, so it makes sense to have separate US and EU servers. That should make it a lot more lag-free for people from those continents.

Bandwidth wouldn't been an issue if we wouldn't tunnel a lot of traffic. P2P games are "free" to us where tunneled games eat our monthly bandwidth quota. CnCNet 5 will have official servers on major continents (at least US and EU) to provide faster tunneled games to those who need it.