Information about maps and map packs

Tore

This will help you with some questions about maps and map packs.

What is a map?

A map is a mission or theater of battle if you like. In Command & Conquer a map is two files; a BIN file and a INI file both of these files are needed for the map to work. Since C&C1 maps are two files people tend to put these maps in a MIX file to make them more organized. Maps in Tiberian Sun and Red Alert are only one file; a MPR file for multiplayer maps and skirmish (and MAP for TS singleplayer maps).

Types of Maps

• Singleplayer; These are Missions where you complete objecives like in the campaigns.
  • Multiplayer; Skirmish and maps that can be played with other players

[Additional info: The .BIN file of a map contains terrain information (rivers, hills etc.) and the .INI file contains units, buildings, trees, mission triggers, the mission briefing, the map name, etc.]

What is a map pack?

A map pack is a ZIP or RAR file full of maps, the contents of the file can be loose BIN or INI files or just a MIX file which contains the BIN and INI files.

If I have a map or map pack and I try to play it with someone else I get a "scenario not found!" error.

The other player must have the same map as you or else you cannot use that map.

I get a "scenario don't match" error.

This is because either you or the other player is using an edited or old version of the map.

Do maps or map packs cause waiting for connections or out of sync errors?

If you are playing an official map such as Green Acres (C&C1), A Path Beyond (RA1) or Grand Canyon (TS) then having different map packs or maps doesn't cause any errors.

How to play a map

C&C1: Extract the BINs and INIs or the MIX from the ZIP or RAR file into the folder where your game is installed

Examples (default folder):

C:\Westwood\C&C95

The First Decade examples (default folder):

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer

Tiberian Sun and Red Alert: Extract the MPR (or MAP) file(s) (and other required files) in to your TS or RA folder.

Example (default folder):

C:\Westwood\RED ALERT

C:\Westwood\SUN

The First Decade example (default folder):

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert

• 9 years later...