Regarding Banning Players Once Ladder Is Implemented

Guest Mechacaseal

Guest Mechacaseal

I have brought this up quite a few times in the past and that's the fact that once there is a ladder/ranking system things become serious. People risk being banned when trying to find way to avoid a loss. Sad fact is when you play a game competitively and you let it get to you then you may end up doing something to avoid the stress and humiliation of a defeat in example disconnect.

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/181804-sol-dc-me-and-revieved-win/?p=1576614

to dc and get the poitns isnt a glitch as such but its definetly a bannable offense, if it is proven to be intentional.

I'd personally never want someone to be banned because of this and I hope to never see it happen here. so to those in favor of a ladder you should look into dealing with it without affecting players who should not be burdened with this stress you put upon them. Yes im blaming the ladder not the players for their behavior.

Maybe even consider allowing the player to erase match history. fun trumps competition every time in my opinion which is why nobody on xwis right now. lol

d/c's happen now in friendly play

can we learn to tell the difference?  I wasn't able to before....

between a d/c that just happens and one done on purpose

witch hunts are not fun.

burn the witches!

it's the inquisition, the inquisition.....

d/c's happen now in friendly play

can we learn to tell the difference?  I wasn't able to before....

between a d/c that just happens and one done on purpose

witch hunts are not fun.

burn the witches!

it's the inquisition, the inquisition.....

regardless of if it's done on purpose or not, the individual who dc'd SHOULD lose the points. Just like every other game out there, you DC...you lose. Fix your connection. The other team shouldn't be penalized, nor should there be a forum topic made every time a DC happens with screen shots trying to prove who was winning the game at the time in order to reward the right team with the win. Keep it simple...you DC you lose.

sounds reasonable how can we tell which player caused it?

did i dc from you or did you dc from me?

are we sure?

Well this could be a problem. Is it possible for someone to make another player DC? If so, then this would have to be detected as a hack. On XBOX, I'm sure we've all heard of 'lag switches' that will make the other person DC and thus you getting the points. However, they can be reported for tampering and I'd assume Microsoft is swift and harsh on banning these individuals. As for this, maybe the server can be programmed to detect some sort of hack or tampering in order to punish the individuals who are doing it.

Guest Mechacaseal

i can already tell this ladder is gonna be a problem especially if its constantly waving around people's stats ingame and has a lot of info about the match. and people posting it on the forums. and people having to register. its gonna be just like nazi germany at xwis again where you have to get goody goody with all the nazi mods roaming around looking for people to ban. DO NOT WANT

I expect that it will be dishonest people that will be the root of the problem

I hope that we stay focused on the actual difficulties and address them

It was difficult but when I played tourney I managed to avoid the dishonest ones much to their frustration,

and enjoyed the ladder games

with the lack of ability to name hide here

your reputation will follow you

and those with a reputation for integrity will get to play

those with a reputation for dishonesty will have a hard time finding a game...

that is the best anti-cheat there is  being accountable

allowing for a self moderating community

Mechacaseal  'Maybe even consider allowing the player to erase match history>>>???

not sure of this.  being able to see their history is a good thing....it would provide 'big picture' context

I really hope that Xwis rules are NOT copy/pasted; literally and in spirit.

My seven cents:

Since cheat guard is already implemented and other log(sync/stats) files and SS can be directly uploaded to server, so there shud be very few guidelines for cheat reports and the mod can go on case-to-case basis. However punishments shud be harsh especially for players which have been playing long enuff to know all kinds of unfair practices.

for game DC; we will take axel1212 as an example...we all know that this dude DCs 99% of the time when he is losing, so I agree with Punker on this that he shudnt be banned as long as his opponent is gettin the points.

I think having a specific rule to eachnevery situation will just breed new level of cheaters.

Guest Mechacaseal

I really hope that Xwis rules are NOT copy/pasted; literally and in spirit.

My seven cents:

Since cheat guard is already implemented and other log(sync/stats) files and SS can be directly uploaded to server, so there shud be very few guidelines for cheat reports and the mod can go on case-to-case basis. However punishments shud be harsh especially for players which have been playing long enuff to know all kinds of unfair practices.

for game DC; we will take axel1212 as an example...we all know that this dude DCs 99% of the time when he is losing, so I agree with Punker on this that he shudnt be banned as long as his opponent is gettin the points.

I think having a specific rule to eachnevery situation will just breed new level of cheaters.

axel1212 hasnt disconnected on me any maybe once when he first came over here to this server. There is no need to put pressure on players. the ladder is a old ancient bullshit system and is proven to not be a contributing factor at all for players coming over here. all it does is have the circle jerking toxic players come out of the woodwork waving their epenis around about how they pwned you and has other players trying to avoid these people getting a win. Not one person gives a damn about XWIS and its ladder. Reference one person who actually looks back at that stupid thing. Nobody. Ladder is garbage. The only thing it does do is encourage competition and add stress. However at the end of the day its artificial and nobody gives a damn. Banning someone over it and encouraging BAD TOXIC BEHAVIOR in players is simply stupid.

But like i said i do acknowledge it can be enjoyable and contribute to the competitive players who play but it does not need to be a reason to ruin the game for people who are enjoying the game right now.

I remember a perfect example of when EA was still trying to make Tiberium Wars a sport and the highest ranking player Apoc the community manager was trying to get in contact with literally changed his profile picture to a penis and since he was highest ranked everyone for a short while could see his penis picture on the ladder page. That about sums up the reality of the situation.

or the time eatme had 100 wins 0 losses and was not banned because he was not breaking rules and exploiting the system.

There was never a time when the greatest players shined through the ranks and people danced in the streets over it. Just circle jerking elitists and trolls.

I think ladder can be a good thing. Don't show wins/losses, just show a total points count. Then nobody will know how many games you have won or lost. But you still have points and are thus ranked. So nothing changes except hopefully people have less of a reason to cheat/DC if it's their "stats" they care about... as nobody will know if you lose anyway!

I think ladder can be a good thing. Don't show wins/losses, just show a total points count. Then nobody will know how many games you have won or lost. But you still have points and are thus ranked. So nothing changes except hopefully people have less of a reason to cheat/DC if it's their "stats" they care about... as nobody will know if you lose anyway!

I expect the 'stat' cared most about is the ranking! 

i remember what place i finished when i play

not showing wins losses probably won't help at all

The rank is important of course, but in my experience from XWIS people liked to have the best w/l ratio as possible (or keep 0 losses) to make a statement or something. I honestly think it would help to hide wins and losses. If points are awarded/lost based on the difference in the player points/ranks when the game starts, then if you lose and -14 points for example, it's no biggie. I think if anything it would drive people to just play more games if they lose to make up for a loss? Maybe not though, who knows!

sky posted this in another thread, I repost it here  out    of  it's original context

but it addresses this topic as well

I still remember the first time i was diz rushed I was like you #$@#$ cheater that was impossible!

(and I hope I never forget)    my bad...

Now in my experience, some players dont notice when they have been scouted and accuse people instantly of 'mapping' (using 3rd party programs/tools to reveal all shroud on the map) when they are attacked so either they ask other players in the game if they recall anyone scouting them or request the attacker to screenshot their base showing shroud for proof.

Players that understand the mechanics of the game and the tricks to playing usually dont ask because they know how they got scouted and/or attacked but some people dont use their brains to figure this out and realise this and are certain that the player is 'cheating' until proven innocent or not guilty.

Then their are players that either just dont understand the basics  or they just dont want to hear that they are wrongly accusing players of cheating because they cant accept that a certain player might just be better because they understand how the game works and have a good strategy.

Guest Mechacaseal

I really wish I showed people how to make fake screenshots a long time ago. asking for screenshots has always been irrelevant as proof. near end of video

• 2 months later...

I know this is a slightly older topic.. but ... all games can have ladders.. you don't have to play them if you don't want..it can be checked like any other option(most likely) in the game.. even the new ones added.

A lot of people who play more competitive games (StarCraft II) as example simply use the ladder as a show of improvement, by playin lots of random people on random maps and lookin at there wins/losses to people, seein who they should probably play more.. to get better.. and who they have played enough with and can no longer really improve.

Ladder is more focused on improvement of your skills

it keeps track of the games played and who you lose again (That's the main focus) so you know who could help you

improve.

On any game.

it doesn't make anything stressful unless you are somehow forced to ladder and if you lose you will be killed in real life.

lots of people prefer it because it adventually leads you to more "professional" players.

professional in quotes because unless theres money being earned its not professional ;p

Now if its money involved, idk I wouldn't personally be stressed unless I was footing the bill.

There are cheats in starcraft II, the players who use them actually get sued... for breaking into someones personal

development.. would be nice to take it that far, but a banhammer should do the trick.

ethier way I just focus on myself, not who cheated me, just avoid the "lamers" :P

• 1 month later...

Keep track of how often players DC and look at Outliers (repeated DCs between two players are less important then the same player getting DC'ed/DC'ing with different players) -> ban them and have them prove to some moderator who looks once a week into his mailbox to unban them.