Increasing Maximum Vessels

Eisengeist

How well does increasing this from 100 to 200 or more work?

[Maximums]

Aircraft=200

Vessel=300

Because in an 8 player game with 100 max it seems people got locked out of making more ships too early and couldn't build ships again for the rest of the game.  And if people go aircraft heavy, it seems 100 would be too little for that too.

I think funky tried to increase the object maximums for the game but it just either a) didn't work or b) caused crashes.

Plus then my favourite soviet naval strategy wouldn't work so well (build a kajillion subs until building new boats is locked out)

Funky did increase the object maximums by double but this caused lag. Maybe just changing Vessel would work or on naval maps increases the max Vessel count and reduce the Unit count (tanks) but this may not work as I don't know if [Maximums] can be placed in maps.

I gotta try something.  I had what was shaping up to an epic 8 player naval battle and then we hit the maximum.  Still epic naval fights but then we were crippled while one person had fifty ships left.  And after losing my only transport my land units were of course stranded.  One possible half-assed remedy that might help would be for everyone to get a free reinforcement of transports arriving in a central area sometimes.  Otherwise all land has to be connected somewhere with short game on so you can get to and destroy all of someone's buildings to eliminate them.

Well exchanging some land units for vessels seems like the best reasonable advice so I tried:

[Maximums]

Unit=300

Vessel=300

I figured exchanging 200 units without increasing the overall shares when the values are there to modify in rules should at least work.  Unfortunately putting the change within a map was totally ignored and the game capped my ships at 100 still (testing offline skirmish through CNCNet's MP launcher)

Something that might be a good idea is to have that change as a toggle in CNCNet for playing any naval heavy map.  Have the 500 unit and 100 vessel as the default and a switch for playing with 300 and 300 caps.

• 1 month later...

I've got the same problem with infantry, tanks and buildings.

If you're playing a large map with infinite money you always come to the limit and it's annoying that you are not able to build anymore.

Is there any solution to increase the maximums?

w_voigt

Making the [Maximums] larger causes lag. If [Maximums] could be made to be a read-able map key than exchanging ships for land units could be one on land maps and exchanging land units for ships on naval maps but adding more is not going to work.

Well Allen beat me to some these points while I was typing so please forgive any redundency...

I think a lot of money is fine, but I'm not alone in not being fond of infinite ore maps, though I have released one for skirmish only.  I would think 500 land vehicles, 500 infantry, and 500 buildings are plenty.  But I'm not one to say people shouldn't be allowed to do what they want.  The 32 war factories limit may inhibit some 8 player games and that 100 vessel limit can really hurt a map with totally separate land.

At any rate I see two solutions:  CNCNet simply allowing a map to change the maximums within it or a toggle to shift land&sea from 500&100 to 300&300.  Or maybe both, so you can play an existing good naval map that doesn't have the maximums changed.  One of the maps included with CNCnet actually has super high limits you would never reach and experience slowdown if they were observed.  But those limits are nuts.  It's been said that doubling everything resulted in a slowdown too.  That's why I agree with the idea of shifting a load from one limit to another.

At any rate I released a couple versions of an XO naval map that has paraships and transport reinforcements to bypass the 100 limit.  They're the xocaina*.mpr maps on this post http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3823.msg30625#msg30625