Game keeps Crashing

leposean

Bought a brand new laptop, decent graphics card, processor,only thing I've installed is RA2. Disk was brand new and I can play the first mission, then in second mission it keeps stalling. Thought it might be the disk but then I did a skirmish and same thing happened about 3 minutes into the mission. Any thoughts on settings etc?

Game just freezes, music keeps playing, left for ages and it still didnt continue.

Try to enable single cpu affinity via the task manager: http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/setaffinity.jpg

Disable all checkboxes except CPU0: http://www.oregontechsupport.com/articles/images/cpu-disable.png

Note: you can only do that while the game is running, start it first and then go to the task manager

Process name for cncnet: game.dat

Process name for vanilla yuri: gamemd.exe

• 3 weeks later...

knew i seen this cpu trick somewhere but for whatever reason the settings ive had to change to get the game to run on windows 10 without a black screen have prevented me from tabbing out and back into game sucessfully :(.

can you think of any way around this?

To rapture_ni:Windows 7 64bit, 8/8.1 and 10 results in a black screen when launching. A fix for this is using: http://www.stuffhost.de/files/cnc/

Open the aqrit.cfg and change NoVideoMemory and forcedirectdrawemulation to 1.Do not change only one of them cuz it will result in black screen with sounds only.

-------------------------------

To leposean: Please post your pc specs: OS, Ram etc. Also i experienced the freezes in campaign only. They are caused by the movies.mix files so you could try find some blank versions of them (This happened to me on Windows xp sp3 only). Also please tell if you encounter this problem in simple game or in cncnet. If its in cncnet please enable graphics patch from the settings and also download ddraw.dll file, i heard it fixes most of the problem with the cost of lag on pause menu.

The game works perfectly fine on win7 64bit, win 8 / 8.1 / 10 have the problem where you cannot minimize though, but besides that it works fine

There are cases where the game doesn't work, often because people download a version from the internet (Windows will not be able to detect the game and won't apply the needed fixes), but there are also cases where the game doesn't work even if it's an official installation, would be interesting to find out what the problem behind this is. Maybe bad graphic card drivers? Some weird windows settings like aero? No idea...

Here are the shims I extracted from the compatibility db microsoft ships with windows:

http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/compat/

To rapture_ni:Windows 7 64bit, 8/8.1 and 10 results in a black screen when launching. A fix for this is using: http://www.stuffhost.de/files/cnc/

Open the aqrit.cfg and change NoVideoMemory and forcedirectdrawemulation to 1.Do not change only one of them cuz it will result in black screen with sounds only.

To leposean: Please post your pc specs: OS, Ram etc. Also i experienced the freezes in campaign only. They are caused by the movies.mix files so you could try find some blank versions of them (This happened to me on Windows xp sp3 only). Also please tell if you encounter this problem in simple game or in cncnet. If its in cncnet please enable graphics patch from the settings and also download ddraw.dll file, i heard it fixes most of the problem with the cost of lag on pause menu.

Yeah this is the fix I have used. the game loads up etc but will crash bout 5 mins into a game and will crash if I tab out of it to even try and adjust the cpu settings. might try a clean install and see what happens. o aye ment to mention I can play online through cncnet and it runs ok but im god awful at the game and would like to relearn it a little before I get owned everytime and end up throwing my laptop out the window lol

Yeah this is the fix I have used. the game loads up etc but will crash bout 5 mins into a game and will crash if I tab out of it to even try and adjust the cpu settings. might try a clean install and see what happens. o aye ment to mention I can play online through cncnet and it runs ok but im god awful at the game and would like to relearn it a little before I get owned everytime and end up throwing my laptop out the window lol

Its interesting that you can play the game on cncnet. Try the following steps for me:

1. Launch the game and then minimize it while you are in the main menu.If it works try do this in skirmish panel and campaign selection panel.If it works both cases that means teh problem appear while in-game.

2.Launch the game and put all settings to lowest even the resolution to lowest and try playing a 8 skirmish match and see if its still crashing after 5 min.You are not supposed to play the whole mach only when you are in intensive battle.

3.If lowering the settings didn't work you could try reinstalling the game without cncnet.I heard it installs a patch but im not sure.

4.If all 3 steps didn't work, disable windows aero.If you dont know how open task manager and find a program called dwm.exe and force close it 2 times, then aero will be off (not sure if it will start again at next boot but you can enable it via services).After its close try playing the game withouth any other applications and with lowest settings but you can set your resolution to 800x600 if you want.

If all steps ddin't work please post your specs: OS, ram , 32bit or 64bit, and videocard.ALSO very important after 5 minutes do the buildings explodes before it crash.

ill try and give a few of those a go, I put a fresh install on there outside of programs(x86) as recommended.

Tried to start it and got the black screen but I haven't set any compatibility settings just yet or added the suggested files in the windows 10 black screen thread.

ill try and give a few of those a go, I put a fresh install on there outside of programs(x86) as recommended.

Tried to start it and got the black screen but I haven't set any compatibility settings just yet or added the suggested files in the windows 10 black screen thread.

Its possible that compatibility tab is disabled. Try mouse 2 on the click troubleshoot compatibility and then click try recommended settings.