Get error playing RA1 online - Please help

Emoney

Hi Everyone,

New here and just rediscovered the love of playing RA1.  My goal was to teach my dad how to play using his new computer.  He still boots up his old windows 3.1 to play skirmish everyday for the last 10 years.

However, every time I play with a friend we constantly get "Program ra95-spawn.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close".  This tends to happen 2 out of the 3 times we play online for one of us. So it crashes quite often.  We are both on Macs and use Wineskin that we download.

Any help here please?

I checked the file, the error is well known and has something to do with air units. Different people tried to fix it already but no one was able to reproduce it which makes it really hard to fix :(

Would be nice if you could tell us what you were doing when it happened. Did you try to build a new air unit? Did you just attack and lost one or more? Did they just land on the airfields? What air units did you use? mig?

Edit:

You could also record your games and upload them if you run into this error, I never saw a video of it!

I'm really impressed with how quickly you responded FunkyFr3sh!

Interesting, note about the air units.  When I was playing I had 2 migs that had recently landed after attacking a tank that was in my base.  I was in the process of building a tesla coil when the game actually crashed.  I usually only have 2 to 5 migs total.

Do you have a suggestion on what I can use to record the games on a mac?

Then it is probably the wineskin package it self that fails, I heard from some people that it doesn't work on OSX 10.10+, it was tested and working well with 10.8

We don't have anyone to maintain it at the moment, someone got to try to upgrade the package with the latest engine using wineskin winery to see if it works. There are many different engines available that can be tested, if you like you can give it a try

I see. Thanks for the tips.  I'll try it out and see.  Sorry, i'm a little bit of a newbie.  I downloaded Wineskin winery and the latest engine.  When I create the wrapper I assume the main executable is RA95Launcher.exe ?

Then when I click play online it tells me to download Winetricks dotnet20.  When I go to the page, I'm unsure which one to download.  When I do click on the dotnetfx.exe to download, it asks me to login with a password through a porting center?  I'm stuck at this point :-)

Thanks for your tips and help!

cannot remember the name atm, but it is not RA95Launcher.exe, it is in the folder above. I think there should be no need to install dotnet20 again since it is already in the wrapper.

Btw, do you use our Mac download from www.cncnet.org ? In your crash dmp file it doesn't look like you use our Mac package, maybe try ours first before you mess around with the winery