RA2 and YR run fine but freeze when loading game (Origin version, Win 8.1)

Ghost81

Question

Hi guys, I have a problem:

I bought the C&C ultimate collection on Origin, and I have trouble getting RA2 and YR to work correctly. In short, after tweaking the ini file to disable video backbuffer, both games run fine, but they freeze on the loading screen when trying to restore a saved game, to the point that I have to CTRL+Alt+Del. I should mention that this same Win 8.1 PC was able to run RA2 (original 2000 CD version) just fine without that issue (even though now I can't seem to install that version anymore no matter what I try).

EA support was well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful. Any idea on how to fix this problem? I really want to play Yuri's Revenge, as I never had the chance to back in the day.

Thank you for your time.

6 answers to this question

Hi guys, I have a problem:

I bought the C&C ultimate collection on Origin, and I have trouble getting RA2 and YR to work correctly. In short, after tweaking the ini file to disable video backbuffer, both games run fine, but they freeze on the loading screen when trying to restore a saved game, to the point that I have to CTRL+Alt+Del. I should mention that this same Win 8.1 PC was able to run RA2 (original 2000 CD version) just fine without that issue (even though now I can't seem to install that version anymore no matter what I try).

EA support was well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful. Any idea on how to fix this problem? I really want to play Yuri's Revenge, as I never had the chance to back in the day.

Thank you for your time.

Hello and welcome to the forums - are you specifically trying to play online RA2 & YR, or are you trying to play the missions?

If you're wanting to play online - you can download our installer which applies a bunch of Win8/10 fixes, which you then will be able to launch skirmish games and online games with other players.  http://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge

Hello and welcome to the forums - are you specifically trying to play online RA2 & YR, or are you trying to play the missions?

If you're wanting to play online - you can download our installer which applies a bunch of Win8/10 fixes, which you then will be able to launch skirmish games and online games with other players.  http://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge

I'm trying to play the single player missions, and since I'm the kind of guy who saves and loads often, that's impossible with this saving glitch.

I'm trying to play the single player missions, and since I'm the kind of guy who saves and loads often, that's impossible with this saving glitch.

OK, place this in your game directory and retry. http://grant.cncnet.org/tmp/ddraw.dll

The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

The graphics system patch DDWrapper is known to solve the "black screen" issue.

Download the zip file and extract "ddraw.dll" and "aqrit.cfg" into your game folder. Then, open the configuration file "aqrit.cfg" in Notepad, change the "ForceDirectDrawEmulation" option to 1, save the file, and the game should work.

Thank you for your response, but still no luck: the game took a long time (30+ seconds) and managed to save and load a saved game once when I tried with a skirmish, but when I tried with a campaign mission, the game froze again on a "please wait, mission is loading" screen. When doing CTRL+Alt+Del I noticed the process was altogether unresponsive.

I think Origin is the problem, since RA2 ran fine before on this PC. I would just install and play the CD version of RA2 again and seek out a CD copy of YR, but now the installer will no longer start when I try to run it from the CD no matter what compatibility options I try, and I have no idea of why that is...