Windows Defender Trojan Warning

CABAL

Question

I'm less asking for help and more notifying of an issue, so if this is the wrong section, please move it to the right one.

Installing the latest version of Tiberian Sun with the campaign off this site (looks like it's Beta 11 Rev. 2) gave me a malware warning from Windows Defender (Win10) claiming it was a trojan, then deleted some files mid-installation, and finally erased the installer. I assume this was a false positive, so I disabled Defender and tried again with a fresh download.

This did not trigger when I installed the full versions of C&C95 or Red Alert 1. I have not tried the other games.

If you would like more detailed information, I can get it.

As an aside, I'm kind of amazed that this username was still available on a C&C site. It's usually not available on completely unrelated sites, so being able to use it here is amusing.

5 answers to this question

Deactivate Windows Defender and get proper protection  :laugh:

I wish. Windows 10 doesn't let you keep it off unless you paid for a paid version of it. Obvious money making scheme. "Pay so you can disable over protective crap". It's like that malware that disguises itself as anti virus. Wait, does this make windows defender malware? O.O

I wish. Windows 10 doesn't let you keep it off unless you paid for a paid version of it. Obvious money making scheme. "Pay so you can disable over protective crap". It's like that malware that disguises itself as anti virus. Wait, does this make windows defender malware? O.O

http://winaero.com/blog/disable-or-enable-windows-defender-in-windows-10/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start/how-to-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10/b834d36e-6da8-42a8-85f6-da9a520f05f2?auth=1  (just don't listen to this guy's link to AVG - better to go unprotected than use that).