Installer can't detect Red Alert 2 version

Delido

Question

Hey guys i have the multiplayer version of red alert 2 from Xwis/Strike Team but the CnCnet installer can't/won't detect its very existence which mean it is only detecting the multiplayer version of Yuris Revenge and subsequently i can only connect to the YR lobby.

Is there any solution/reason for this?

2 answers to this question

Hey guys i have the multiplayer version of red alert 2 from Xwis/Strike Team but the CnCnet installer can't/won't detect its very existence which mean it is only detecting the multiplayer version of Yuris Revenge and subsequently i can only connect to the YR lobby.

Hello,

Red Alert 2 is part of a mode within the Yuri's Revenge CnCNet client. You can tick the Red Alert 2 mode whilst creating a new game.

Hey guys i have the multiplayer version of red alert 2 from Xwis/Strike Team

Red Alert 2 is not freeware. You are technically pirating the game by downloading the version from XWIS. We don't condone piracy here; please buy the game.  :yuri:

the CnCnet installer can't/won't detect its very existence which mean it is only detecting the multiplayer version of Yuris Revenge and subsequently i can only connect to the YR lobby.

As Grant said, the RA2 games on cncnet actually use Yuri's Revenge. The reason behind this is the following: making cncnet support for a game involves hacking the game to make it accept the input from cncnet to launch an online game. This involves a lot of research into the game's internal workings. They have already done this in Yuri's Revenge, but re-doing that in RA2 isn't "just doing the same thing there", but actually "doing the same research and implementation all over again". Despite the two games' similarity, it's not a simple task.

The cncnet team hasn't had time to actually do that so far (since it's quite complicated stuff) and has instead chosen the easier route of making a "RA2 mod" in Yuri's Revenge mimicking the original game's behaviour, and offering that for RA2 online play.