Nod - Eagle's Eyrie (Single Player)

nariac

Hello people, another mission from me. This time you get to play as Nod, assaulting a strong GDI fortress, but with the usual nasty twist - you'll need to try to move your forces through canyons to launch attacks. If GDI spots you on the high ground, they'll call in airstrikes on your head!

Eagle's Eyrie

Our operations in Central Africa have hit a roadblock in the form of a heavily

defended GDI Airbase in the province. You will need to move in and take it down.

Raze everything to the ground, but focus on their communication centres. Be wary,

GDI air support in this region is exceptional. Make use of the canyons to hide your forces.

You will need to use both stealth and guile to have any hope of success.

EEStart.jpg.5a860188d0d913be5a786d3303f398d5.jpg

EECanyonHide.jpg.deb18fb2a4e3e608b7af082e56589784.jpg

Eagles_Eyrie_v.1.zip

Edited by nariac
  • Upvote 1

I've taken a bit of a break from C&C, I'm currently on a Wargame: Red Dragon binge and I only get so many minutes a week to play anything, but I'll definitely give this a go when I get the time. Things seem to work pretty slowly on these forums anyway  :boring:

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I finally played this one and Holy shit was it evil...

First and foremost, the idea behind this mission is extremely unique, I have yet to come across anything like it. Using the airstrikes as a super / area denial weapon was ingenious. This mission absolutely HAS to be played a very specific way and it's design is so concrete that it stands as a testament to your skill as a designer. The map, base layout, and attacking forces were well thought out and executed despite the fact that some teams got stuck by the cliffs. Dismantling the bases bit by bit was , in my opinion, the best part of the experience. However, what initially made this mission interesting and charming slowly lost its appeal as the bulk of GDI's attacks devolved into obnoxious plane spam.

Obviously, micro management is key here, but I feel that the player is punished a little too harshly for things outside their control, like AI pathfinding. I can't tell you how many times my harvester accidentally wandered onto a cliff and triggered 5 or 6 air strikes, thus ruining my economy and costing me precious resources. Harvesters and combat troops have to be intensely microd for the entire first half of the mission in order to avoid the wrath of the bombers. While this was certainly challenging, likely by design and ultimately rewarding in the end, it hurt the pacing of the mission and I wasn't really having fun until the first comm center was destroyed, finally giving my forces some much-needed breathing room and allowing me to focus on other things besides harvester routes.

Overall, this was a great idea and the intelligence behind the mission's structure won you a lot of points. But the strict, cramped nature of the first half  and being forced to babysit harvesters nearly killed the pacing. On top of that, some teams (like the rocket launchers to the West and the infantry group that came down the middle) got stuck and bunched up. Still a solid mission though, and I'd still highly recommend it to the hard core players here. I think my only complaints could be remedied by tuning the size and locations of the tiberium fields and maybe moving the airstrike triggers a little farther back or slightly reducing them. That is only my opinion though, I'd like to hear what other people thought!

Map Design: 5/5

Mission Structure: 4/5

Functionality: 3/5

Originality = 5/5

Challenge: 5/5

Final Grade: 88/100 (B+)

Ok, so I finally played this one and Holy shit was it evil...

First and foremost, the idea behind this mission is extremely unique, I have yet to come across anything like it. Using the airstrikes as a super / area denial weapon was ingenious. This mission absolutely HAS to be played a very specific way and it's design is so concrete that it stands as a testament to your skill as a designer. The map, base layout, and attacking forces were well thought out and executed despite the fact that some teams got stuck by the cliffs. Dismantling the bases bit by bit was , in my opinion, the best part of the experience. However, what initially made this mission interesting and charming slowly lost its appeal as the bulk of GDI's attacks devolved into obnoxious plane spam.

Obviously, micro management is key here, but I feel that the player is punished a little too harshly for things outside their control, like AI pathfinding. I can't tell you how many times my harvester accidentally wandered onto a cliff and triggered 5 or 6 air strikes, thus ruining my economy and costing me precious resources. Harvesters and combat troops have to be intensely microd for the entire first half of the mission in order to avoid the wrath of the bombers. While this was certainly challenging, likely by design and ultimately rewarding in the end, it hurt the pacing of the mission and I wasn't really having fun until the first comm center was destroyed, finally giving my forces some much-needed breathing room and allowing me to focus on other things besides harvester routes.

Overall, this was a great idea and the intelligence behind the mission's structure won you a lot of points. But the strict, cramped nature of the first half  and being forced to babysit harvesters nearly killed the pacing. On top of that, some teams (like the rocket launchers to the West and the infantry group that came down the middle) got stuck and bunched up. Still a solid mission though, and I'd still highly recommend it to the hard core players here. I think my only complaints could be remedied by tuning the size and locations of the tiberium fields and maybe moving the airstrike triggers a little farther back or slightly reducing them. That is only my opinion though, I'd like to hear what other people thought!

Map Design: 5/5

Mission Structure: 4/5

Functionality: 3/5

Originality = 5/5

Challenge: 5/5

Final Grade: 88/100 (B+)

Yeah, I agree that it's too punishing. :P I think that might have been a subconscious reaction to my missions generally being too easy. :D I find this one pretty hard and I made the damn thing!

Did you go right or left at the start? I set the map up to give it two "tiers" of difficulty based on which path you take. Going right lets you evict the civilians and set up easily - like in Eviction Notice. But the best thing to do is actually immediately go left and capture the small GDI base there, then send your stealth tanks north right away to destroy the first Comm. Centre. Stealths don't trigger the airstrikes, so they can sneak in and take it out fast. Then if you expand to the right, and capture the Hospital instead of destroying it, you can place a Refinery there and have map control of the bottom half, and all its Tiberium, free of incoming airstrikes.

But this is definitely one of my earlier missions, and could certainly use some revisions. I'll poke around with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Honestly, my biggest gripe was with the damn harvesters. I didn't mind micro managing my troops through the canyon, but having to babysit the harvester was a pain. I went right the first time i played it. If they ran out of tiberium on the right, they'd try to drive up the cliff to the the north west because that's the next closest field. Other times they'd bump into units leaving the base and renavigate using the cliffs, triggering 7 or 8 planes in the process. Similar issues exist even if the player chooses to set up on the left first. I'm so used to just letting the harvesters do there thing, I almost never have to manage them. It's become as subconscious as breathing. To have to directly control it is certainly...different.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if i'll get a chance to do videos but i will post photos of more custom maps on the N64. And also if you want a map inserted into an N64 C&C rom just message me, ill give you my skype and insert it for you and send it to you