Regarding my earlier post about Port Forwarding problem

David Smith

Question

Hi all again.

I'm still hoping someone, anyone, will be able to help me with my problem please.

I'm finding 90% of games I join result in "failed to connect".

I never had a problem until recently, although I don't think I've changed anything on my PC

Please can someone help!

Cheers,

Smudge

9 answers to this question

Hi all again.

I'm still hoping someone, anyone, will be able to help me with my problem please.

I'm finding 90% of games I join result in "failed to connect".

I never had a problem until recently, although I don't think I've changed anything on my PC

Please can someone help!

Cheers,

Smudge

Do you maybe have a new router? Or a new internet provider?

type "/natx" in the game lobby, it will output some debug line, copy/paste it here so I can check what's going on.

You can also read this here for more info: https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=5635.0

Edit:

I just saw you posted about this problem before but no one answered you, could you please click on Settings -> CnCNet -> Game Settings and check what port is written in there under Game Port?

Hi Funky, thanks for getting back to me

I don't have a new router, have had the same Virgin Media 'Superhub' for years.

Have been with my internet provider, Virgin Media for many years and have played C&C for many years without any major problems

natx: 1 0 22 8054

gatz: 192.168.0.1

Settings port: 8054

I've tried reading the topic 5635.0 but to be honest it's all too technical for me!

Fingers crossed you can tell me exactly what to do Funky!

Thanks again

Smudge

that looks very good, perfect testing results! Your port is not forwarded but your router is doing well and your internet connection is not the problem either

It should be anything locally, maybe anti-virus or firewall is blocking certain ips of people you are usually playing with. maybe you hit disallow by accident once?

You can try the following things:

- Reinstall the game, but install it to a different folder this time.

If it still doesn't work:

- Change your port number in the settings, set it to 1161

If it still doesn't work:

- Login to your router and forward the port (You need to forward 1161 UDP now that you changed it, or you can also change it back to 8054 and forward that)

Cheers Funky.

I shall delete and reinstall C&C now.

Hopefully I don't have to go onto that next stage... I'm bound to cock it up (don't suppose you're able to log into my PC and do it remotely are you?)

Here we go...

Thanks again for your help (so far!!!!)

Smudge

Good morning

Unfortunately I'm still failing to connect to most games Funky.

I have reinstalled C&C into a different folder (it all appears different now!)

I have opened port 1161 and all the other ports are still open by the way. C&C Settings confirm port 1161 is listed.

I don't know if this is relevant? ... 1161 is open as UDP, however the other (original) ports are opened as "TCP&UDP", would it make any difference if I changed them to read only "UDP" perhaps?

I don't understand how to change Firewalls, but when I called Virgin Media a helpful lady (who talked me through to open all the ports) also checked my Firewall allows C&C

So, still not resolved I'm afraid!

Can I trouble you further for support please. Willing to do anything to get my daily C&C fix, lol

Cheers,

Smudge

PS as previously mentioned Funky, I'd be happy to allow you remote access (if you talk me through how to make it happen) to let you change whatever needs changing in my PC

TCP&UDP should work fine too, don't think it's the problem.

I just had an idea, do you maybe have multiple connections at the same time? like, are you connected via cable and wifi too? that could indeed cause such problems.

Maybe we could give it a try via teamviewer if nothing else helps :D

I tried changing port 8054 from TCP&UDP to just UDP but that didn't do anything, so have left the others still as TCP&UDP

My router has wireless capability however the PC is hardwired to it. I don't think my PC even has a wireless card fitted. Mobile phones, tablets etc use the wireless bit.

I'll download Teamviewer as I don't appear to have it in my PC anymore. Some years ago a C&C player sorted my PC problem out using Teamviewer, but I don't recall his name.

I'm home all day, everyday being a house-husband/decorator, able to connect whenever suits you Funky. Just let me know when!

Cheers in anticipation

Smudge

Good morning Funky.

Yes I use the name Smudge

I don't see you in the lobby at the moment. (You are usually at he top of the list prefixed with N?A I believe).

I have Teamviewer ready, but bear with me if I press the wrong buttons at first, lol. Been a while since I used it.

I'll hang around the lobby for a bit in case you pop up

Cheers