Help Re: The First Decade - Generals - Windows 7

Mithrane

Greetings all.  I am new to these forums, so if this is the wrong place, please just let me know.  With that out of the way...

I own a PC with Windows 7.  I want to run Command and Conquer Generals.  My old copy of the game is missing one of the CDs.  So, I bought the First Decade disk.  I installed it as an administrator on the computer (ran set-up from explorer and said run as admin).  I have been able to get all of the other games to work by changing their compatability settings and running as admin from their .exe  .  I can not, for the life of me, get Generals or Zero Hour to work. So, I'm turning to you guys for help, as EA's tech support is worse than Dell's.

I need a step by step approach that someone with minimal computing expertise can follow which can get Generals and Zero Hour to work on my Windows 7 PC.  I've seen many forums where people say they got it running.  I can not, however, find out how they did it. 

Help?

I have Windows 7 Professional x32 and I don't have problems with Generals and Zero Hour.

hmmm... may I ask which Windows 7 variant and hardware you have?

I have Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate.  I have an NVidea 8800 GT video card.  Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz.  More HD space than God.  4 gigs of system ram.

The "screen shot" loads up which shows the logo and such, which normally runs before the game opens.  It shows this for about 20 seconds while the mouse icon shows "working".  Then the "screen shot" goes away as if nothing was ever running.  Rarely, will give an error message which simply states that an error has occured without giving any code or description of what kind of error.  If I see the error again, I will write it down verbatum.  ATM, I am re-installing the game from scratch in the hopes I might find the Windows gods in a good mood.

Freshly installed as administrator.  Running in compatability mode for XP as adim. 

If I attempt to open the game via the The First Decade shortcut which leads to the menu of choices for which game, it hangs as per previously described, then disappeares, leaving the menu still up.

If I attempt to run it via the executable, it gives an error message.  The error message is -

Technical Difficulties...

You have encountered a serious error.  These can be caused by many things such as viruses, overheating hardware, hardware not complying with minimum specs for this game, etc.  Please visit the forums at *link to EA's site* for more information and technical support.

For Generals just copy and rename the ZH folder. ;)

As for this issue: This cannot be prevented some computers seem to be unable to create this folder properly.

I'm getting the impression that it is an issue with Windows Vista and 7 which is most commonly found in their Ultimate versions.  It seems there are some serious issues with giving / getting permission to access the My Documents folder in these OS's. 

The good news is, this seems to have gotten it to work.  Thank you SO much for the help.  *returns to playing his favorite strategy game*

• 2 years later...

I apologize gentlemen for reopening this topic. But I myself am having trouble launching Zero Hour after installing First Decade. I went through the usual Compatibility changes that one would do. I even tried the extracting files that Mr. Tore had suggested. Seemed to work for Mithrane, but it tells me that I have to insert the correct disc, which First Decade is still in. So I am a little puzzled as to what went wrong here.

As to what was happening before I tried the extracting files Tore had provided, I was having the same issues as Mithrane, would look like it was launching and would just close as if nothing was happening or would say a serious error had occurred.

I am running a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit system.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.