8 way lan party with windows 10 pcs

puzzabug

I set up 8 computers, mostly windows 10, to lan yuri's revenge. It had tons of errors getting games started. Lots of "waiting" players and crashing lobbies. Sometimes player's games wouldn't start when we hit go.

I tried using a few different direct draw dlls, sometimes they helped (and prevented games from crashing if you went into windows) but sometimes they slowed down loading.

I'm thinking of setting up a single computer with 8 windows xp virtual machines and trying to run like that, but I'm not sure how I'd get audio properly out or mouse / keyboard input in. It seems really complicated.

Is there a way I could just do a LAN game from the cncnet client?

I can't get it on gamesurge because gamesurge won't allow 8 connections from one ip.

CnCNet client is internet, hurr durr.

I doubt there's any way to do pure LAN with Windows 10. With Windows 7, yes, but it isn't easy if you're not a computer scientist. Your best bet is CnCNet (with the hack of using VPNs) or some other online service/server. I'd go as far as recommending GameRanger to you which I have never recommended to anyone under any circumstances but for you it sounds like the best idea.

I'm thinking of setting up a single computer with 8 windows xp virtual machines and trying to run like that, but I'm not sure how I'd get audio properly out or mouse / keyboard input in. It seems really complicated.

There's things like VMware. But again, don't bother unless you're a computer scientist and have access to a super high end server with a minimum of 8 physical cores and at least 32 GB of RAM.

These things are generally not worth it. Windows 10 is troublesome enough.

I set up 8 computers, mostly windows 10, to lan yuri's revenge. It had tons of errors getting games started. Lots of "waiting" players and crashing lobbies. Sometimes player's games wouldn't start when we hit go.

I tried using a few different direct draw dlls, sometimes they helped (and prevented games from crashing if you went into windows) but sometimes they slowed down loading.

Is there a way I could just do a LAN game from the cncnet client?

I can't get it on gamesurge because gamesurge won't allow 8 connections from one ip.

Hello - have you requested an increase like I suggested in the other post?