Experimenting with the 'The Alamo' after game bug

Ra2Nub

Question

TL;DR version: So basically something causes the client to change the map to 'The Alamo' for players on custom maps after the client see your YR game client has closed.

Seeing this is even more common then the load issues, I decided to use 2 machines to help devs to fix it, since this is also slightly annoying bug that renders many load issues if host don't refresh the map. So after a lot of testing, this is how I can replicate this bug.

Issue: After a game the map reverts back to The Alamo

Issue documented: Upon completing a game, the map goes to the first map in the list, pauses, then goes back to the custom map.

The documented bug is bit different then actual truth.

Research:

1) The map only reverts back to The Alamo on custom maps

2) The map reverts to The Alamo as soon the client detects your game is no longer running (non-host only)

3) The map stays on The Alamo UNTIL the host changes something, which then it reverts back to the proper map

4) If the host comes back PRIOR to the player(s), the map stays on The Alamo forever. If the player comes back first THEN the host, the map changes back to the proper map automatically (refers as 'pauses' in the dev logs), but still takes couple seconds. I guess the host send some sort of packet to let the players know he's back, which also 'refreshes' the map/room state.

From all the testing this happens 100% of time. This should really be easy to replicate.

To replicate:

1) Create a room and let your other machine join it

2) Put it on a custom map (one that needs to be downloaded or is downloaded)

3) Start the game

4) End it and let the host quit their client first, then the player

5) The map now stays on The Alamo until the host changes ANYTHING to the room

6) If the host doesn't change anything and start in this buggy state, the game will not start for the people bugged and freeze at loading

2 answers to this question

One last bit of testing I did: Is the map already The Alamo after starting but game still running? Answer: No.

However, if you kill the game with task manager and client focused, you will see that as soon the client no longer see you are in-game it changes to The Alamo as expected, which is the bug.

So basically something causes the client to change the map to 'The Alamo' for players on custom maps after the client see your YR game client has closed.