"error - out of memory"

Titan Joe

Question

So since I can now play with the right colors, I've decided to check out the C&C TD missions I was working on a few years ago.  It ran great yesterday.  Now I get this error message when I launch the game: "error - out of memory" and there is an "abort" key under it to press.  I've never seen this message before.  I don't know where to begin. 

FYI specs: Core 2 quad 64 bit, 8 GB ram, windows 7

4 answers to this question

So since I can now play with the right colors, I've decided to check out the C&C TD missions I was working on a few years ago.  It ran great yesterday.  Now I get this error message when I launch the game: "error - out of memory" and there is an "abort" key under it to press.  I've never seen this message before.  I don't know where to begin. 

FYI specs: Core 2 quad 64 bit, 8 GB ram, windows 7

Screenshot?

Getting "Out of Memory" on game launch is usually due to having a corrupt mix file in your game folder.

You didn't happen to pack your missions inside a mixfile with XCC Mixer or XCC Mix Editor? Because then you have to specifically put the mixfile type to "Tiberian Dawn"; the default mixfile type it creates is Tiberian Sun, and C&C1 always gives the out of memory error when trying to read a Tiberian Sun type mixfile.

That makes sense.  My XCC mixer lacks that TD mix type. Time to look for a new version.  This was my first attempt using XCC for mixes.  I used to use Mix Maker, but it doesn't like my Windows  machine.  I'm off to find a different version of XCC.  Thanks.

If you want a screen shot you can imagine one up really easily.  Now close you eyes and put your self in a Command & Conquer state of mind.  Imagine trying to start the game without thew CD before the "no CD fix."  The screen goes black and a box outlined in green with the C&C green text appears.  Instead it says: "ERROR - OUT OF MEMORY."  And there is one button to press just below the text in the box.  It looks like all the buttons in the C&C menus.  It says: "ABORT." 

That wasn't necessary, but I think it's really easy to get the image.  Plus the colors were messed up and I'm not good with C&C screenies.

XCC Mixer doesn't lack the TD mixfile type. The actual mixer tool simply can't CREATE it. You have to do that with a differerent tool that's included, namely XCC Mix Editor. You can access it by going to the "Launch" menu in XCC Mixer.

In that, you can click "Options" to set the mixfile type to Tiberian Dawn.

Make sure you do this BEFORE adding files into the mixfile though, since the type of filename ID encoding that's used depends on the mixfile type that's set. It's an issue I've discussed with Olaf recently, since it's really counter-intuitive. Basically, changing the mixfile type after having files in the mixfile totally messes up your internal filenames, because, while the mixfile type changes, the IDs of the files aren't reconverted for the new game. The only way to fix this is by deleting and once again adding all files.