(Wht)Eventide

AchromicWhite

Upon these Slovenian villages tiberium now grows. The forests are turning into an alien landscape and where tiberium grows, war soon follows.
For now, people live, but the sun is setting, the day is at an end, it is the Eventide.

A large map. There's plenty of paths around the map, and it features villages that block paths... until destroyed. Use them for defence, or blast them quickly to create new attack paths.

posted image

(Wht)Eventide.bin

(Wht)Eventide.ini

Edited by AchromicWhite
  • Like 1

Yes, this map is not about rushing... that's why it's a larger map with a lot going on in the far corners.
If it's about rushing, those areas would be near pointless. However, I have faith that Nod isn't crap in the later parts of the game. The more the game goes on, the more the tiberium is out in the open. So it gets harder to defend as the game goes on.

Different maps are different, but all units should have a chance to shine here, somewhere. There are both closed and open areas.

13 hours ago, chem said:

You seem to like to encourage a base creep why is that?

Will GDI have the advantage since its perhaps a mid tech level dominant map?

You seem to like to encourage a base creep why is that?
Because it's RTS. That's literally a 1/3 of the game.

Will GDI have the advantage since its perhaps a mid tech level dominant map?
How is it mid tech dominant, and how does being mid tech make something GDI dominant?

27 minutes ago, chem said:

1) Most players dont base creep, most prefer to sit back next to a big patch of tiberium, defend use nukes attack with tanks not a base creep. Which is how westwood intended it to be played they didnt foresee the base creeping and attacking with turrets. But you like to encourage the base creep which I like too and which  high level pros also utilize often.

Im just surprised you encourage it almost force it with your map design. Its not how most people like to play. I have no issue with it Im just curious. Hope you dont take offense.

2) Ah so you think mid game is fair on both sides. You think nod have the advantage early, and perhaps even late too? Generally speaking not map specific?

Just trying to understand why you do what you do,  so I can make better maps myself.

You said that you think its most balanced when its turrets bikes buggies artillery heliies and obelisks, vs adv guard towers, meds naders humvees etc?

Rather than nukes and ion cannons, mammoths and heli snipes the late game stuff or the early nader vs buggy stuff, you think the mid part of the tech /game is the most balanced part and so you force the creeping to force people to stay at this tech in an effort to make the map more balanced?

So you sacrifice popularity to try and optimize balance, and your style tends to be for a slower paced (allowing more thought), base creeping, territory controlled, troop accessed, difficult choices (for where to creep for the tiberium)  style of map ?

1) Most players dont base creep, most prefer to sit back next to a big patch of tiberium, defend use nukes attack with tanks not a base creep. Which is how westwood intended it to be played they didnt foresee the base creeping and attacking with turrets. But you like to encourage the base creep which I like too and which  high level pros also utilize often.

Most of the original maps are not very defendable and don't even have a lot of resources (obviously some are more so than others, but other than the one with like 1 bridge to attack along, there's no "free tiberium" layouts, either. So I have no idea why you say that.
Also, and I'm not sure when or how this was changed, spawns didn't use to auto divide players. So say you were on Green Acres, sometimes you'd spawn RIGHT next to each other.
I agree that they didn't see base creep; they thought we'd just make bases in a square. But they also didn't understand late game econ management. In the case of RA1, when multi-factory got completely out of hand, they literally capped it to like 2-3 in the AM expansion.
I think the game benefits from the idea that multiple production facilities, and further more, the choice between building multiple production, or tech, or more economy. Choice is good, it's a strategy game, after all.

Most people like money maps. That's a fact. They like it because it feels like they're better at the game.
If you took someone to a battle field and asked them if they'd like to have a base and lots of tanks and things protecting them, or if they'd like to have nothing and build from scratch, the fear of destruction would compel them to choose the free stuff. C&C is pretty much the same, and so is like every RTS. It's why fastest money maps and Big Game Hunters were popular in SCI and SCII.
Same shit, different game. 
However, strategic options are limited on such maps and don't challenge players to multitask and come up with new ideas... as the game just cruises to late game and stalemate situations... until battles so large there's little room to micro and nukes/ion/apache/orca rain down (note that this stuff is easy to control). Well... the big armies are not easy to control, but if no one can micro them well, then it evens the score...

My maps are about trying to emphasise skill and tactics into the outcome of the match. They don't balance the game, but they help. Maybe one day we can figure out the formulae for balancing the teams on a map. But given all the bitching, I've given up (you're on your own).

Ah so you think mid game is fair on both sides. You think nod have the advantage early, and perhaps even late too? Generally speaking not map specific?
I have no idea what that means. Balance around maps can be completely different.

You said that you think its most balanced when its turrets bikes buggies artillery heliies and obelisks, vs adv guard towers, meds naders humvees etc?
Did I?
You made a statement and put a question mark at the end.

Rather than nukes and ion cannons, mammoths and heli snipes the late game stuff or the early nader vs buggy stuff, you think the mid part of the tech /game is the most balanced part and so you force the creeping to force people to stay at this tech in an effort to make the map more balanced?

Again, you're putting words into my mouth by making a statement a question. I never said those things. YOU did.
I like playing with units... it's more fun and takes more skill than clicking a button on the opponent's con yard and then posting that you beat the best in forum and demanding them to admit defeat in an effort to validate yourself.
(no, I'm not being passive aggressive, I simply don't like you).

So you sacrifice popularity to try and optimize balance, and your style tends to be for a slower paced (allowing more thought), base creeping, territory controlled, troop accessed, difficult choices (for where to creep for the tiberium)  style of map ?

Again, that seems to be a statement with a question mark, but I'll comment on what you're saying.
Yes, I'm not here to be popular. I'm trying to help people to play the game competitively if they want to, and to make enjoyable competitive maps.
By "slower" I guess you mean; not with bikes/buggies inside your base 1 min in. That's not actually slower, just a different situation. In fact, given that the game is likely to reach a point where there are battles happening at multiple points around the map, it'll test your ability to multitask.

18 minutes ago, chem said:

Ok thanks for the informed reply even though you do not like me. Much appreciated. You are good for the community to do things like that.

Yes I understand now why you like that style of play, it is kinda lame how as soon as you put the money down or the tiberium down most people think its "shit" I like the battles with less money and more micro too, as well as the popular stuff. 

Well, that's what you get for attacking loads of people over nothing and then trying to get me banned by telling mods and other cncnet members that I'm racist, isn't it? Welcome to the real world, kid.

And no, you're not sorry that I don't like you, else you wouldn't have made it your personal business to try and get rid of me.

Don't patronise me with this "You are good for the community to do things like that." You clearly know nothing about what is or isn't good for the community, as you spend half of your threads attacking that very community you're talking about.

5 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

I like playing with units... it's more fun and takes more skill than clicking a button on the opponent's con yard and then posting that you beat the best in forum and demanding them to admit defeat in an effort to validate yourself.

Agreed tenfold.

4 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

as you spend half of your threads attacking that very community you're talking about.

Valid point. I will never understand why players get shutdown in some of the threads that I read. Some players, including myself, get essentially talked down to for literally a match or two that they played. Speaking of which, if this continues furthermore in regards to berating players on the forums, it will result in disciplinary action.

24 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Valid point. I will never understand why players get shutdown in some of the threads that I read. Some players, including myself, get essentially talked down to for literally a match or two that they played. Speaking of which, if this continues furthermore in regards to berating players on the forums, it will result in disciplinary action.

Yeah... like. I've beaten everyone but Ehy... with GDI, no less. Though I only ever played him like 4-5 times. (maybe not Lovehandles. I've beaten him with Nod, years back).
Yet, that has nothing to do with friendship with them, nor their ability to play. And then when players become aggressive towards me, they're asking if I want to play a game, in order to legitimise treating me like trash.

a. How does beating someone in a game give you any right to treat them poorly?
b. Why would I want to play ANY game with you, if you treat me poorly?

I'm dumb fucked.
Anyway. Yeah, metal is great, but you just have to listen to the wise stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIRg7eqZis

• 11 months later...