Source code finds

Milkey Wilkey

As you may already know, the source code for TD and RA was released on github

https://github.com/electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection

Share interesting things you find! There's one from me from the menu logic - it's probabply known before, but not for me

/*
  ** This cause a right click anywhere or a left click outside the dialog region
  ** to be equivalent to clicking on the return to game button.
  */

It's a shame this only works in the main options screen and not in sub menus - could have saved me countless seconds going out from the jukebox :D

• Like 1

Hell yeah, infantry melee combat and panic

#ifdef BOXING
  if (IsBoxing) {
  int addval = 0;

switch (warhead) {
  case WARHEAD_FIST:
  if (damage == Infantry_Punch_Damage[1]) addval++;
  Do_Action( (DoType) ( (int)DO_PUNCH_HIT1 + addval),true);
  break;

case WARHEAD_FOOT:
  if (damage == Infantry_Kick_Damage[1]) addval++;
  Do_Action( (DoType) ( (int)DO_KICK_HIT1 + addval),true);
  break;
  }
  } else {
  #endif
  if (source && Fear < FEAR_SCARED) {
  if (Class->IsFraidyCat) {
  Fear = FEAR_PANIC;
  } else {
  Fear = FEAR_SCARED;
  }
  } else {
  int morefear = FEAR_ANXIOUS;
  if (Health_Ratio() > 0x0080) morefear /= 4;
  Fear = MIN((int)Fear + morefear, FEAR_MAXIMUM);
  }
  #ifdef BOXING

Holy shit it looks like it's the ENTIRE source code of the game? I thought it would be like game logic modules, but apparently it's the whole exe wrapped up in the dll form and remaster use it as some kind of a VM. This means it could be potentially possible to recompile it as c&c95 or even C&C dos exe

3 hours ago, Tiber Shark said:

What does this mean for cnc.net and remasters? 

For cncnet and mods in general this means the possibilities are endless. You just have to find people that will want to play your megamod. But I can see that first things that will emerge from this are long standing bugs fixed, better client integration and inclusion of much needed qol features. 

For remaster, well, for now the mods are single player only. So, enjoy your mods with nice graphics alone

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milkey Wilkey said:

For cncnet and mods in general this means the possibilities are endless. You just have to find people that will want to play your megamod. But I can see that first things that will emerge from this are long standing bugs fixed, better client integration and inclusion of much needed qol features. 

For remaster, well, for now the mods are single player only. So, enjoy your mods with nice graphics alone

I think the first step is to recompile the game and make it run as the original, reimplementing the missing parts (renderer, audio what else?) but with a modern operating system and a modern toolchain.

After that, we may even replace the C&C original binary with this new one. That certainly  will speedup fixes, make an skirmish AI possible, make bigger maps possible, add support to more players, add a better networking algorithm to avoid desync, etc.

it would be also possible to port it to other platforms, such as cellphones, and maybe homebrews for consoles.

The limit is simple the time and skills of the developer and what a machine can process.

To be quite honest, I am more attracted to the source code release than the remaster itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1