Replacing Colors Ra1 and Tiberian Dawn

DarkVen9109

You mean, the team colours?

In C&C, it can be done, but only through hacking of the exe, I may implement an ini system for this later, though.

In RA, you need to look for palette.cps. It lists all multiplayer colours in its top left corner:

palette_cps-remap-source-first.png.21b4c821e20b089f0fea208bd64ab776.png

You can change these by putting new combinations of colours there. Of course, you have to make the image keep its existing palette, and only choose colours from it to make the new ranges. The actual game palette can't be modified without reconverting ALL game graphics to work on it.

A word of warning though: As you see there, the first line determines WHICH colour gets changed, so NEVER change it, or all remapping on the normal yellow will stop working.

Also, the actual place where you SELECT the colours (the lobby) uses a different colour palette than the game, meaning the colours you select may be messed up there.

Here you can find a fully working remap replacement for RA1, giving it the C&C1 colours:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/mods/cc1mod-mainmenu.rar
(it's the start of a small RA to C&C mod project I started. It has the fully modded main menu, and the C&C1 colours)

Another palette.cps replacement with interesting colours (including army green) can be found here:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/mods/palette.cps

Preview:

green_ra.gif.ebfae9058704fc73f54b68f3812cbcce.gif

btw, I believe the two colours at the end are both the radar colours for units and buildings respectively, and one of them is probably used for the lobby preview colour. The lobby's palette is actually specifically adapted to have the correct colours on these indexes.

On the remap source thing... I once changed the remap source to orange as experiment.

palette_cps-remap-source-new.png

Then I converted the C&C1 jeep to use that orange colour range.

newremap-normalpal.png

The result was this:

custom-remapped.png

As you see, only the unit I converted to the correct orange colour range still got remapped. The rest just remained yellow, since that yellow was no longer the remapping colour :D

Well it's a CPS, so you first need to use XCC to convert it to PCX or PNG.

Then you edit that top left corner of it with some editor which

A. can show you the image's colour palette, so you can choose colours from it, and

B. keeps the palette intact when resaving it.

Then you just use XCC to convert it back to CPS, and put the resulting palette.cps file in your game folder.

btw, I added a preview pic of the army green in my first reply ^

I wish I could change the color of France into Violet :(

Well, seeing as the RA palette kinda doesn't CONTAIN that, that's simply impossible.

For any new colour range you want, you need to find 16 colours on the palette to make a good fade. Mind you, you can duplicate some if needed (see my C&C1 green and dark teal ranges on the orange-remap pic), but that inevitably reduces the colour quality of the units.

The changing the remap source... Can I get some more details on that? Since before Red Dawn was released I've been trying to swich the blue and gold but have failed...

I kinda posted all info I got on it. To actually convert units to the new remap you need to make a conversion palette, of course, just like my purple ones.

Here you see the RA palette with the orange range replaced by purple colours, allowing me to use it in combination with my other purple palettes:

newremap-purple.png

it's really that simple. Take RA palette, replace the colours you want to use as new remap by the exact colours already used on my purple palettes, and you can use it to convert units just like you'd do with the C&C-RA purple palettes.

I knew my first try was such an epic fail. No screenshot need to be posted because from what I found out when I messed up the color, I only messed up the color of France and it's like, even the title screen was affected. All units and structures are yellow, only the background of the lobby is purple, however, you can still see some colors like black but when you use it for your team, it becomes yellow.

...if you're making colours ingame purple, you're doing something really wrong. The purple should only be used on conversion palettes for SHP files, which by themselves don't store colours.

Yellow, as shown before, means the change of remap worked. Now you just need to convert the unit and structure SHPs to actually use that new remap.

On that note, I'm not sure if you fully realize this... but it's rather insane to do this just to change the order of the colours in the dropdown. Changing the remap source means EVERY SINGLE REMAPPABLE SHP IN THE GAME needs to be converted to change its yellow to the new remap colour.

On that note, I'm not sure if you fully realize this... but it's rather insane to do this just to change the order of the colours in the dropdown. Changing the remap source means EVERY SINGLE REMAPPABLE SHP IN THE GAME needs to be converted to change its yellow to the new remap colour.

Yeah I know.... and I may do it too! Its better than redoing *EVERY single player map for Red Dawn.

*Ants mission GDI is alread gold.

The Triggers are the prob. The are not simple like C&C. Below is your basic Destroyed all USSR winner is Greece.

win=0,1,0,0,11,-1,2,0,-1,0,1,-1,-1,-255,0,-1,-1,-1

Also the remap change you did can you upload it? I must be missing something since I can't seem to get it to work.

Okay got it working...