Cannot play campaigns in either RA2 or Yuri's Revenge

boyryan

Gday everyone.

I'm rather new to this, however grew up loving playing ra2. I've been able to play everything but the campaigns in RA2. when I click to play them i get a prompt that it requires more permissions. I click yes and then it takes me back to my library in EA App. 

Windows 11

Tried deleting and reinstalling the game. fixing it. and updating through the CncNet website. please help and Cheers

So you launch Ra2 from the EA app, it pops up the message 'this game require admin permissions' and then the game crashes or not even run and not even shows the menu where you can select Ra2 or YR? Did I understood well?

If thats the problem, is probably the EA Client itself messing up the game launcher. I am aware that many people are having similar problems with other games. I am about to send a complaint to EA about how f@#%ing bad is their application, and how passive they are to improve it.

Possible provisional fixes I would try:

- Uninstall EA Client and try Origin

- Search and Read Answers HQ, maybe you'll find the fix there

- Send a Support Request to EA's mailbox and bug them

- Search for a game launcher althought this is considered piracy...

Although on a second thought, we all should just bust EA's Mailbox with complaints, until they f@#%ing move.

Greetings.

Hi.
I too tried to run the campaign mode through the client and failed.

When I click "RA2 Campaign", nothing happens, and when I click "YR Campaign", I get a prompt asking if I want to apply the official upgrade patch, although it is already applied, and the campaign doesn't run anyway.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:42 PM, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

Search for a game launcher althought this is considered piracy

It's just a launcher! They don't sell those separately.

Edited by Sam-I-am

13 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Hi.

When I click "RA2 Campaign", nothing happens, and when I click "YR Campaign", I get a prompt asking if I want to apply the official upgrade patch, although it is already applied, and the campaign doesn't run anyway.

It's just a launcher! They don't sell those separately.

Hi Sam 🙂

By a launcher I mean a program which externally let the game run without the @#%! EA App, it would be the best solution most of the times.

Why is this piracy? Because the EA App is intended to be there as a DRM and copy protection, so if I copy the game folder to a friends PC he would need the EA app and my EA account to play Ra2 (which is not freeware)

If we skip this by a launcher, is like we are creating a pirate copy of the game because my friend could play Ra2 without buying from EA, and we wouldn't need the app anymore.

This would be the legal matter, but if we talk about moral considerations, everyone should use game launchers as long as EA doesn't fix the issues that ruins their customers fun, and they don't seem to put many effort on it, if any...

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90

Hey, buddy :)

8 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

if I copy the game folder to a friends PC he would need the EA app and my EA account to play Ra2 (which is not freeware)

Yeah. I get that, but we're talking about personal use here, not sharing.
If you own the game legally, using a third-party launcher can't be piracy.

You already paid for the car; It's yours; you can modify it anyway you like. Same with the game.

14 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Hey, buddy :)

Yeah. I get that, but we're talking about personal use here, not sharing.
If you own the game legally, using a third-party launcher can't be piracy.

You already paid for the car; It's yours; you can modify it anyway you like. Same with the game.

Yeah I'm agreed to that point. He can use it as long as he finds it himself, but we can't post it here or the admins will come and get us 😄 (don't missunderstand, they would be doing their legit job)

On 2/23/2023 at 10:53 PM, Sam-I-am said:

Hi.

I would try to uninstall the game completely, after making a backup of all your extra stuff like maps or mods if any. And then do a fresh reinstall and install the CnCNet to patch it. Sometimes it works.

If not, send me a PM 😉

14 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

I would try to uninstall the game completely, after making a backup of all your extra stuff like maps or mods if any. And then do a fresh reinstall and install the CnCNet to patch it. Sometimes it works.

If not, send me a PM 😉

I'm sure that it works without the client being installed. I've been playing for years before CnCNet existed.
I think the CnCNet patch is what's causing the issue, given that it combines RA2 & YR, with the option to turn YR into RA2.
For me, it doesn't matter, becuase I've already played the campaigns enough.

Are you able to run both campaings through the client? Can you run RA2.exe?

From what I've seen, the CnCNet Runs the campaigns simply by executing the RA2Launcher.exe but I guess this is for new ppl... as you have that icon on your desktop.

The game can run without the CnCNet of course, I did it with the CD's, Origin version and The First Decade, you only really need to set the compatibility modes to Windows XP SP3/Run as admin, and incase you get black screen, low fps, and such things, just install the CnCDDraW on your game folder.

The question is that the CnCNet fix some more things than the graphics renderer and thats why it's adviced, but if I want to play the campaigns, I simply run ra2.exe or ra2md.exe with the settings I told you before, the CnCNet being isntalled or not doesn't really matter here.

By the way, CnCNet has it's own launcher and it's based on Yuri's Revenge, the way that it be able to emulate Ra2 is simply by .ini rules, that's why there are still small and negligible differences in the CnCNet Ra2 mode to the original Ra2, but is doesn't have any effect when you launch Ra2.exe simply because they don't use the same files.

What version of the game do you have installed? CD? Origin? TFD?

So, you're able to run RA2.exe although you have CnCNet installed. You've just verified that, right?

I have the CD version, and I'm guessing that the client is based on the Origin version if there's any difference.

Again, I don't care about the campaigns anymore. I was just telling the OP that it's not just him.

4 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

So, you're able to run RA2.exe although you have CnCNet installed. You've just verified that, right?

Yes 🙂 ra2.exe works 100% for me.

I have the CD version, and I'm guessing that the client is based on the Origin version if there's any difference.

The CnCNet itself works with ANY version of Ra2. I've run with a CD install, TFD, Origin and even third party no CD installers 😛 

The difference is that Campaign Modes in the CnCNet will call the Ra2Launcher.exe file which is only in Origin version if they didn't change it, because most people now run the game from Origin/EA app, so if your game installation comes from a CD this file will not be found and campaign won't run from the client.

You can still launch the original games ra2.exe and ra2md.exe, but these files need compatibility settings to Win XP SP3 and 'run as admin' to run properly. You can do this on the Ra2/YR desktop icons.

Again, I don't care about the campaigns anymore. I was just telling the OP that it's not just him.

The OP is using Origin/EA installation so I believe your problems are different, he for EA's Client messing the game launcher/prompting, and yours because you don't have a Ra2Launcher.exe Menu so you straight need to run the ra2 .exe/ra2md.exe

Hope this helps, cheers!

• Thanks 1