Problem install from YR from original CD (cannot located RA2)

lee1413

Dear all,

my os is win10, and i got both the ra2 and yr original legit CD. But my win10 couldn't execute the 'install.exe' (or setup.exe) in the original ra2 CD in cd rom (won't autoplay and no response click manually in the install.exe), so i DL a RA2 online version for playing RA2.

For RA2, I've changed the properties to xp2 compatible, as admin etc; and copied (yes, copy the *.mix, *.dll, *.movie, game.zip etc..) all the essential files from my RA2 CD so i could play both the campaigns perfectly. Once i finished the story mode, i tried to install YR and put in my YR CD (with the change of compatible, admin etc), the YR installation progress stopped at 'top secret' (page 2? i think) and it warns me 'RA2 is required to install... bababa'

could anyone please help teach me how to solve it? (like registering the RA2 or something in my com? ); or it should formally re-install the RA2 from the original CD and then YR? (the CD won't run properly from CD, unless COPY all the files in RA2 CD to my com harddisk and change the properties.. so that why i DL RA2 multiplayer ver)

PS, i don't download CNCnet yet, and, it doesn't help with the installation process, right?

Sorry for my bad English, much appreciate it if anyone could provide advisory.

Yuri's Revenge CD can only be installed if you have installed Ra2 previously from your original CD, it doesn't work with the Ra2 Multiplayer from XWiS for example, or any other but the Ra2 original setup from CD.

In the past there was a chance of asking Origin for a digital copy if you could prove you had the original game with serial etc, but since origin dissapeared, I've asked myself EA Support months ago if I could have a digital copy or Ra2/YR as I could prove I have the originals, and they just blatantly ignored me, and not just one time, I've even sent them pictures of my CD's/Serials.

So the only remaining 'legal' way EA allow us to get Ra2/YR even if we got the original game, is installing their app and purchasing C&C The Ultimate Collection which includes every game.

Also there is a workaround to run your CD's in Windows 10, you just need to install the DRM driver which Microsoft removed in 2015 due to 'safety' reasons or the driver being a potential backdoor for viruses and threats, or that's what they said to kill literally a very extense library of thousands of games CD based and shell them again on digital format.

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90

Thanks for the reply and elaborate your exp like me clearly. I am the same having the CD, and the serial key, except the cover box and the buying receipt (it been  a long time, so I throw them away ages). 

So ya, in case to make it function, it is impossible to do with my existing CDs except to put back the drm?

But as mention your words, now the digital copies sold from EA could be install in Win10? Is it meaning some other sort of registering is being used nowadays? Could it be possible to convert the whole original CDs ( or some files, like the install.exe) from third party software?

So ya, I thought the easiest way  should be registering it in Win10 like old days, but I am technology blind. :(

2 hours ago, Sam-I-am said:

Hope this helps:
Red Alert 2
Yuri’s Revenge

Hi Sam, seems like XWiS download links to Ra2/YR free Multiplayer versions no longer work, and I'm afraid that it has something to do with EA removing permissions.

2 hours ago, lee1413 said:

Wow, the sequence mention was just what I did to install ra2 story mode. Thanks.

Btw, the link is broken, any other link recommended?

Thanks lot.

This website doesn't support piracy and Ra2 is not a freeware, otherwise I'm sure anyone could help you. Sadly the only way is buying to EA as explained, and then patching with the third party software to make it work perfect in Windows 10.

EA APP https://www.ea.com/ea-app?setLocale=en-us (buy The Ultimate Collection 60% off currently)

CnCNet Client https://cncnet.org/red-alert-2 (patch and get online mode)

Alternatively you may contact EA at https://help.ea.com/en/help-home/ and tell them you have the original game, but the possibility of success is to little...

7 hours ago, lee1413 said:

Wow, the sequence mention was just what I did to install ra2 story mode. Thanks.

Yeah, I found that funny too. haha. :D Happy to help. :)

7 hours ago, lee1413 said:

Btw, the link is broken, any other link recommended?

RA2/YR

5 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

Hi Sam
This website doesn't support piracy and Ra2 is not a freeware

Hey,
If he already has the CDs, he shouldn't need to buy it again.

Sadly the only way is buying to EA as explained

If so, I'd say: forcing you to rebuy what you already own is kind of piracy on EA's part, I think. :P

I don't see any piracy here, but even if it seems like it; It's OK to break into your own house. ;)
XWIS requires the original game serials, so.. no piracy.

Edited by Sam-I-am

37 minutes ago, Sam-I-am said:

I don't see any piracy here, but even if it seems like it; It's OK to break into your own house. ;)
XWIS requires the original game serials, so.. no piracy.

XWiS links to Ra2 dl are broken Sam bro

Otherwise I'm 100% agreed with you, anyone owning the game should be on the right to find his/her own way to play like I did two years ago when I had the same problem. And I said it very clearly on my videos where I've explained how to Ra2 install from CD's on Windows 10, which were removed by Youtube, and maybe under EA request...

In the other hand, The Ultimate Collection is only like 10$ now... 1$, one dollar per game...

btw interesting link

6 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

Seems like you haven't read the comments, which are more useful than the original post.
They include an alternative link.

6 hours ago, XMaDTanKX aka T-90 said:

btw interesting link

Thanks for letting me know. :)

Edited by Sam-I-am
  • Upvote 1

Otherwise I'm 100% agreed with you, anyone owning the game should be on the right to find his/her own way to play like I did two years ago when I had the same problem. And I said it very clearly on my videos where I've explained how to Ra2 install from CD's on Windows 10, which were removed by Youtube, and maybe under EA request...

In the other hand, The Ultimate Collection is only like 10$ now... 1$, one dollar per game...

btw interesting link

Aka, could you please PM me your private video to install CDs to win10? maybe it could inspire me to get it done.