Seeking Help with Modding Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

mepcobillonline

Hello CNCNet Community,

I am  interested to work on a modding project for Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and could use some assistance. I'm looking to know about  add new units, buildings, and features to the game to enhance the overall gameplay experience.

Specifically, I want guidance on:

1. Adding new units: I could  follow tutorials and guides, but Im afraid encountering errors  during implementation the new units into the game.

2. Mod compatibility: I'm unsure how to ensure that my mod is compatible with existing mods and doesn't cause conflicts.

3. AI behavior: I'd like to modify the AI behavior to make it more challenging and strategic, but I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone in the community has experience with modding Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate your help and expertise.

Thank you for your time and support.

• 3 weeks later...

adding new units requires editing the rules.ini and art.ini of the game and also putting the assets in a .mix file in the game folder.
editing the AI requires editing the ai ini and writing in new sections. its fairly complicated and you may want to first try scripting the AI in maps before writing AI manually.

all three of these ini files will be unique to each mod, meaning that you cant make them universally compatible across mods. you could however find an existing mod and offer to contribute to it so you dont have to specialize in so many things at once or have a monumental commitment to finishing it all yourself

Edited by McPwny

On 2/28/2024 at 8:46 PM, mepcobillonline said:

Hello CNCNet Community,

I am  interested to work on a modding project for Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge and could use some assistance. I'm looking to know about  add new units, buildings, and features to the game to enhance the overall gameplay experience.

Specifically, I want guidance on:

1. Adding new units: I could  follow tutorials and guides, but Im afraid encountering errors  during implementation the new units into the game.

2. Mod compatibility: I'm unsure how to ensure that my mod is compatible with existing mods and doesn't cause conflicts.

3. AI behavior: I'd like to modify the AI behavior to make it more challenging and strategic, but I'm not sure where to start.

If anyone in the community has experience with modding Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate your help and expertise.

Thank you for your time and support.

I have some video tutorials to start with:

here are some links for more tutorials:
https://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Category:RA2/YR_Tutorials

https://ppmforums.com/forum-26/red-alert-2-editing-forum/?sid=26fc098e9a74f2c74903da50403e8067

you can ask here if you face any issues during your work on your mod:
https://discord.com/channels/338055131666972683/366962006093463552