C&C TD issue after patch

hoosier83

Hey everyone, I just found TFD online for super cheap so I decided to relive some of my glory days as a middle schooler and play C&C95 and RA. I installed C&C95 on a Windows XP computer and was having a blast until certain missions would not like me clicking in certain areas of the map and would freeze with a "ding" and when I exited out of the program it gave me a generic memory error (I don't have it written down, but can remove C&C and reinstall it if advice calls for an exact error), like some I've seen on here. If I remove the game completely from the hard drive and reinstall it, that fixes the issue with that particular mission but it just reoccurs in another mission. So instead of just removing and reinstalling the game I decided to download the patch 1.06c r3 to see if that would fix it. It did fix the freezing problem, but created another issue. The game moves so slow that I cannot play it, and the mouse is brutally slow as well. I've researched other areas in this and other forums looking for an answer and found one on this site in the 1.06c r2 thread in the advanced comms center. It says to disable CnCddraw in the CCConfig application. The problem with that is that I can't open CCConfig (even though I downloaded the .net stuff) because I get the error "CCConfig.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error. Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application." I've went to the MS website and downloaded it twice but both times I get this error. Now after wasting half your lives with the description of my problem, is there anyway to solve this without CCConfig? Can I edit something somewhere? I tried to research this as well as possible, but I need help. Thanks in advance!!!

odd. I built checks into the installer alerting you if you don't have the .net framework 2.0. It should have alerted you when installing.

Nyerguds, it did do the check, and I downloaded it (on 2 seperate occasions), but when I tried to open CCConfig the aforementioned error came up. I assumed that by FunkyFr3sh's explanation that I downloaded another version of .NET. If I remember correctly it said .NET 4??

Either way, deleting the ddraw.dll fixed my issue. Is it appropriate to say that ddraw (on my XP system with TFD) only really adds the option to play in a window, and your patch fixes everything else that ddraw fixed earlier? That's what I have derived from reading around this and other forums. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks for the patch. You do awesome work!

Oh dammit. Yes. I need to adapt that in the next version. The brilliant minds at Microsoft decided the .net framework 4.0 should no longer contain the previous versions. You got a program built on older versions, you need to install the previous .net version too. Not a clue why, since 4.0 still contains all functions 2.0 has, programming-wise O_o

As for cnc-ddraw, it also gives some stretching options, like, if you play the game in higher resolution than the original 640x400, it can stretch the videos to fullscreen rather than playing them in the upper left corner of the screen.

Oh dammit. Yes. I need to adapt that in the next version. The brilliant minds at Microsoft decided the .net framework 4.0 should no longer contain the previous versions. You got a program built on older versions, you need to install the previous .net version too. Not a clue why, since 4.0 still contains all functions 2.0 has, programming-wise O_o

As for cnc-ddraw, it also gives some stretching options, like, if you play the game in higher resolution than the original 640x400, it can stretch the videos to fullscreen rather than playing them in the upper left corner of the screen.

Maybe it calls another DLL that isn't included in net4? You know that in Windows there are a lot of dlls that do the same thing as others dlls, using same function names, etc.