C&C RAED: Invalid Pointer Operation

Allen262

I don't know if any one knows or will cares about this since it is unlike to happen for most user...

Anyway I found out that you can't replace the Con Yard and have C&C RAED show it. This isn't related to forgeting to check marking the Encryped box in XCC Mix Editor. It seem that if the fact.shp is OVER Size: 96.3 KB (98,687 bytes)/ Size on Disk: 100 KB (102,400 bytes) C&C RAED will error and say Invalid Pointer Operation and not load. Frame count is not the cause as I took a copy of C1.shp with 198 frame and well below 90 KBs and re-named it to fact.shp. C&C RAED would work fine and show the Con Yard as a Civ with the bid below him (also worked in game).

Is there a way to get my Con Yard under 96.3 KB/100KB on disk while keeping all 52 frame? The stock Con Yard is 25.5/28.0 on disk so it can be done but we may not have the tools or can C&C RAED be patched to fix this?

The Con Yard is already at 72x48 since it is the C&C 95 Con Yard so no chance of resize my way under. The max numbers of frames I could get was 48.

Notify me of replies ON.

Sounds like RAED uses some memory copy function that has a hard-coded amount of bytes to copy.

Could you try changing another structure and unit so the file size for it is that large?

If that's the case you'll have to workaround it by using a smaller file for FACT in the editor.

I could do a search of 0x19000 in the raed exe, see if it's just a matter of allocating more mem.

[edit]

There's code using a 0x18000 value which does look like it might be memory allocating or something... that's pretty close to the number you gave. How accurately did you test that?

Look for "B8 00 80 01 00" and "BA 00 80 01 00" in the exe, and change the stuff after the first byte to something higher, like "00 00 02 00" for both cases.

[edit]

Confirmed RAED doesn't crash with this edit, at least. Still, not a clue whether I'm editing the right thing :P

Can you attach your shp so I could test it out?

I'm attaching 2 conquer.mixes. C1 conquer.mix has the fact.shp replaced with renamed C1.shp. This one will work in RAED. Fact Point Error conquer.mix has my needed fact.shp with all 52 frames. It will give you the pointer error. All you need to do pick one and rename it to conquer.mix and put it into your RA folder with RAED.

Alright this can be moved to a low priority fix (if it isn't already). I'll by pass this by editing the raed.exe to read "raedcon.mix" insead of conqure.mix. raedcon.mix will only have the images needed by RAED. This way I can cut down the images of the Fact.shp to get it working on RAED with out messing it up in-game Con Yard.

• 1 month later...