RA1 "Establishing Battlefield Control"

Matt

That dos installer is really cool! I wonder if it is possible for modders to get it to work with newer source ports of Red Alert?

Source ports? That kinda um, requires having source code. The only Westwood RTS of which the source code was ever reconstructed from the exe file is Dune II, in the OpenDune project.

We should also put."Iron Curtain detected","Choronosphere detected", "Missile Silo Detected" to

...why?

Wow Awesome Nyer. You're a better modder than I am as of now lol.

Actually, I'm just slightly above average skill in a lot of different areas... not too exceptional, just, I get kinda good at stuff if I can be arsed to actually put some effort into it. It's the same with everything, really. Image editing, assembler, sound editing... I'm really not an expert at any of them, but I generally know how to handle 'em. There's people far more skilled than me in all of those things, and I kinda think it's because I can't be bothered to put enough effort into it  :roll:

That dos installer is really cool! I wonder if it is possible for modders to get it to work with newer source ports of Red Alert?

Source ports? That kinda um, requires having source code. The only Westwood RTS of which the source code was ever reconstructed from the exe file is Dune II, in the OpenDune project.

We should also put."Iron Curtain detected","Choronosphere detected", "Missile Silo Detected" to

...why?

Wow Awesome Nyer. You're a better modder than I am as of now lol.

Actually, I'm just slightly above average skill in a lot of different areas... not too exceptional, just, I get kinda good at stuff if I can be arsed to actually put some effort into it. It's the same with everything, really. Image editing, assembler, sound editing... I'm really not an expert at any of them, but I generally know how to handle 'em. There's people far more skilled than me in all of those things, and I kinda think it's because I can't be bothered to put enough effort into it  :roll:

Nyerguds: All I can say to you is... Keep it up mate. And By the way how do you make patches for C&C 95 or how do you analyze the type of error that occured there? Also I noticed that you still have use to your PPM acc. Do you regularly post there like you usually do here? Well if you ask me, I enjoy my stay there and also I have to improve my TS modding skills that's why I joined there. ;)

Liang: Would be nice to have those suggestion of yours as a trigger purpose use only :P

I don't think I've actually fixed any reported bug in C&C95... besides those I accidentally caused myself :roll:

I HAVE fixed bugs I found while sifting through the code myself, but which were either internal handling of stuff which wasn't very noticeable to the outside, or which accidentally disabled stuff so no one ever noticed any difference before I fixed it anyway.

(for example, I re-enabled an unused infantry response "right away!", I've made sure the game doesn't crash when you set GDI as player in a Nod campaign mission, I fixed a bug that made music and video play at the same time when you set a Briefing video in a New Missions mission, and a bunch more like that)

As for the how, well basically, any program is a script of commands for the CPU to go through, in byte codes. Logically, this means that these byte codes can be translated back to readable commands, giving some very low-level version of source code. Of course, since the original are byte commands, this "source code" doesn't contain any names of functions, variables, classes etc, so figuring out what it does is still like trying to figure out a bus route in a city with no street name signs. Any program (without DRM protection, anyway) can be processed in a disassembler to give that basic low-level source code, but then it still takes years of research to figure out what does what.

In C&C and RA, the crash error messages give you the address at which it crashes. These can be looked up in the disassembled script. Actually figuring out what goes wrong there, and how to fix it correctly, is a whole other matter, though.

Also note that the disassembled code is not re-assembled into an exe file after editing it, as it would be with normal source code. Making changes (hacking) happens by editing the bytes in the exe file directly, using the locations figured out by analysing the disassembled code.

Ahhh thanks for the link Matt. I shall study these things very carefully.

EDIT: Hey Matt uhmm I'd like to know what are the different kinds of errors in Tiberian Sun listed in execpt.txt or something but I know how errors happen because of a wrong AI.ini entries, etc.etc. I'd like to learn how to track and fix errors in TS too.