RA1 "Establishing Battlefield Control"

Matt

Only the Initialized part... it's from "Sound hardware initialized".

I made tons of such custom EVA sounds for the Spanish language pack, and for the TS-to-C&C1 mods DTA and ROTD :)

Compared to thise, this was fairly easy... I've done actual cutting and pasting of separate vowels to get the right words. Luckily, TS has these EVA-read voice briefings, which gave me tons more material for that Spanish EVA.

Uhh.. syllables ARE sounds.

They were built by the syllable, or, more specifically, by transitions of vowels and consonants. You can't really cut out a consonant without hearing the vowels before and after it, or a vowel without the consonants around it. They always start going towards the next part of the sound before they end.

Getting a single transition of vowel to consonant or vice versa is possible, but usually vowels are easier to cut off in the middle and combine. It depends on whether the consonant is short or drawn out, I guess.

Sometimes I encounter several syllables exactly as I need them in some other words, but another problem is that finding the right word isn't enough; there's a huge difference between the intonation at the beginning, middle and end of a spoken piece. So I've often found the right word, but had to replace the start or end by the same syllable in the intonation I needed.

Uhh.. syllables ARE sounds.

I meant sounds as in "allophones". Syllables, being build from those, are higher-level units and thus different. (Syllables consist of "sound matter" too of course, but the distinction between sounds and syllables is important in linguistics for a number of reasons.)

They were built by the syllable, or, more specifically, by transitions of vowels and consonants. You can't really cut out a consonant without hearing the vowels before and after it, or a vowel without the consonants around it. They always start going towards the next part of the sound before they end.

Well, that's just as I thought. Actually, it is possible to cut out single phones in the right phonetic surroundings and then glue them together in a desirable way, but that's certainly a lot more work (and probably needs some advanced software to do that neatly), and it's largely unnecessary anyway if you have enough starting material that contains all the desired sound-combinations already.

Sometimes I encounter several syllables exactly as I need them in some other words, but another problem is that finding the right word isn't enough; there's a huge difference between the intonation at the beginning, middle and end of a spoken piece. So I've often found the right word, but had to replace the start or end by the same syllable in the intonation I needed.

I'm not very familiar with Spanish phonology, so I don't know the specifics, but in many languages there are also various effects that modify sounds depending on their position within the phonological word, prior to intonation modifiers that arise from the structure of the phrase (vowel reduction is a nice example; apparently it's not observed in Spanish BTW).

Well, just stressed or unstressed vowels are a huge difference.

So yeah, had my work cut out for me, but it turned out great :)

Mind you, I probably wouldn't be able to do this stuff for languages like Russian or Polish. I don't really know Spanish, but I do know how it's all pronounced when I see it written down.

• 2 months later...

Wow Nyerguds that's one nice EVA clips you made. Btw you use Audacity to combine what the EVA says man? That's what I do. I like what you did to the RA1 EVA where it says "Battle Control Initialized". I'm amazed man. One more thing "Stealth Unit Detected"? Don't remember TD EVA even mentioning the word stealth. :(

Wow Nyerguds that's one nice EVA clips you made. Btw you use Audacity to combine what the EVA says man? That's what I do.

indeed, I use Audacity.

I like what you did to the RA1 EVA where it says "Battle Control Initialized". I'm amazed man.

Heh, this was simple. Just separate words. Nothing to it.

One more thing "Stealth Unit Detected"? Don't remember TD EVA even mentioning the word stealth. :(

That's right. That took a ton of copying and pasting tiny sound clips to create the word  8)

You could try to cut "NOD unit detected" together from "missile launch detected", "NOD building captured" and "unit ready".

I could... but why? You need it for something? Last I checked this wasn't Dune II...

As I said, I pasted it together from other clips. As in, just the word "Stealth" is made out of clips from at least 4 other voices. I don't remember which ones that were. May still be on my PC, but I'm at work right now, so I can't check.

So yeah, There's simply no way to get it better. I don't just happen to have a Kia Huntzinger locked in my basement, you know  :dry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...