Cncnet 5 Red Alert - Can't connect, just says "Connecting..." forever.

Lunar Akemi

Question

Hi there, I'm trying to log into the lobby. I have tried all three ports, and I have tried port-forwarding all three of them as well. All I have for an anti-virus is Windows Defender, I turned off my firewall, ran with administrator, used in different compatibility modes, and still haven't managed to connect. Please help me. This is getting to be so annoying when all I want to do is play some Red Alert with friends.

ANY help would be appreciated.

13 answers to this question

try to get rid of the anti virus

there is no need to open a port, it should just work

lol..

I expected a bit more of a response than that, but all I can say is that I've already tried that and it doesn't "just work". Why does it sit there and say "Connecting..." for eternity? I've literally tried everything from using the portable version to the regular version and I still can't get anything to work. I would say that Windows 8 could be the reason why but my brother uses Windows 8 and can play it fine on the same network, so it's not my network that's the problem. I even went as far as to port forward port 8054 even though that's not even required anymore. I don't understand what's going on with this. There is absolutely no technical explanation as to why it's not working. It should work but it's not. I've already disabled my firewall and tried it and still nothing. I will disable Windows Defender and my firewall (again) and see if that makes a difference, but I sincerely doubt it. :/

Windows Defender (just a re-branded version of Microsoft Security Essentials used in Win8) does not cause connection issues with CnCNet 5. Certain anti virus programs does cause issues with CnCNet, but not this one.

The issue with a long connection time to the lobby is an odd one. From last I heard it might be an issue related to the IRC server somehow getting overloaded under certain circumstances from requests by the client. I think that particular issue was fixed, but it or something related seems to happen every once in a while to certain people. Could be a bug.

Windows Defender (just a re-branded version of Microsoft Security Essentials used in Win8) does not cause connection issues with CnCNet 5. Certain anti virus programs does cause issues with CnCNet, but not this one.

The issue with a long connection time to the lobby is an odd one. From last I heard it might be an issue related to the IRC server somehow getting overloaded under certain circumstances from requests by the client. I think that particular issue was fixed, but it or something related seems to happen every once in a while to certain people. Could be a bug.

Do you know if it's able to be looked into or am I just screwed? xD

I dont know much about the windows 8 security settings, but this error is almost always caused by security programs and such

Are you logged in as an admin permanently or do you always have to enter the admin password during runtime of windows ?

I am the only account on my laptop. I am always administrator.

Are you using wifi ? try to connect via a cable

I'm afraid that I don't have one available. I also tried updating my network drivers and that didn't make a single difference. The computer I'm typing this from can work cncnet 5 just fine and it's using a wireless adapter. My brother can also use it just fine and he's on Windows 8, so that marks out the OS as the potential problem. However, it's absolutely essential that I get it working on my laptop - for traveling reasons. So it works on my network but not my laptop itself. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the network card itself that's causing the problem.

i dont think its the network card, testing it with a cable was the last idea i had :/ that solved problems for other people before

So if I tried using the USB wireless adapter that I use for my desktop that runs cncnet just fine, you think it would make it work for my laptop?