OpenRA Release 20140608

Matt

I can't get this to work. My PC specs:

-i7 3.2 Ghz

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

-NVidia GeForce GTX 580 gfx card (driver is up to date and supports OpenGl 4.4)

-341gb free hdd space

-12 RAM

-no other games or programs running

I've already re-installed 3x and rebooted.

Here's my exceptions.log:

Operating System: Windows (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)

Runtime Version: .NET CLR 4.0.30319.17929

Exception of type `System.InvalidOperationException`: No suitable renderers were found. Check graphics.log for details.

at OpenRA.Game.Initialize(Arguments args)

at OpenRA.Program.Run(String[] args)

at OpenRA.Program.Main(String[] args)

Runtime Version: .NET CLR 4.0.30319.17929

Exception of type `System.NullReferenceException`: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at OpenRA.Program.FatalError(Exception e)

...and here's my graphics.log:

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

at OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.ErrorHandler.CheckGlVersion()

at OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.Sdl2GraphicsDevice..ctor(Size windowSize, WindowMode windowMode)

at OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.DeviceFactory.Create(Size size, WindowMode windowMode)

at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer.CreateDevice(Assembly rendererDll, Int32 width, Int32 height, WindowMode window)

at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer.Initialize(WindowMode windowMode)

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

at OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.Sdl2GraphicsDevice..ctor(Size windowSize, WindowMode windowMode)

at OpenRA.Graphics.Renderer.CreateDevice(Assembly rendererDll, Int32 width, Int32 height, WindowMode window)

Btw, does OpenRA have a forum? I've already tried asking at the freenode chat thing, but nobody was able to help me :(

• Upvote 1

The OpenGL gurus live in the NZ timezone. All I can tell you is try updating your graphics card drivers although it does not really look like the regular https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/FAQ#no-valid-techniques errors. I suggest you file a bug for this one https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/new as it is definitely a new stacktrace I don't fully understand.

I was just thinking last night when i was playing tiberian sun if only tiberian sun had attack move all these enemy infantry wouldnt be passing by my infantry rush so easily... tibsun kind of actually does have attack move by putting your units on a waypoint and  then telling them to follow the waypoint while on guard mode. that basically makes them behave like attack move. units also dont have threat ratings in tiberian sun attacking higher priority targets first like in starcraft 2. they did add a threat rating node in tiberian sun which was supposed to be a gdi structure to give this ability to the units and units do actually have a assigned threat rating but not a paper scissors rock countering rating just a higher threat rating than the various other units. anyway nice seeing some of these features in your openra project. i will try this release although i dont like red alert 1 since it doesnt offer the strategies i like. great work anyway. im personally amazed you are able to make such a project. this engine really deserves its own game and to be sold retail.

This looks to be a combination of a validation bug (I have filed #5595) and driver issue on your end (or a second bug on our end - what does your card report for its OpenGL version string?).

Thanks for that. As for the version string, I downloaded OpenGL Extensions Viewer v4.1.7, and it says that I have

OpenGL version 4.4

Driver version 9.18.13.3788

DirectX version 9.0c, June 2010, 11.0

Shader model vs_5_0, ps_5_0

I've played an older version of OpenRA on this PC about a year or 2 ago and it worked fine. Unfortunately I've already installed over it with this June 2014 version so I'm unable to check which version the older one was.

I forgot to mention that after I double click the OpenRA icon, my mouse cursor changes to the 'loading cursor' for a few seconds, then does absolutely nothing. I only found the exception files after running OpenRA.CrashDialog.exe from the installation folder. I've also tried

-running it as admin

-different compatibility modes

-installed in C:\Program Files (x86)

-uninstalled (not just over-write)

-re-installed in C:\Games\OpenRA

-changed desktop colors to Medium (16bit)

-changed desktop resolution from 1920x1080 to 1024x768 (both these resolutions work fine with other games and programs)

-turned off all the 3D settings in NVidia's Control Panel

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

tiberian sun is like the mad scientist creation of C&C it is feature packed. I will be shocked if you don't cut corners on that project. Past my cynicism I find it interesting but don't believe it'll workout. Plus, Tiberian Sun's fanbase is competitive and Tiberian Sun is popular to us mainly because of the gameplay formula being just right. If you arent a fan of it and into the multiplayer seriously this will do nothing but piss the Tiberian Sun fans off.  If anything this is just good for advancing your game engine nothing more.

Cool, thanx. I don't know anything about this github thing, so I'm guessing this fix will be added to the next release? I've also tried running it in VMware Workstation. It runs but reeeally slow and the sound is totally messed up (you hear the same machine gun sound effect repeated over & over & over & over... :D). What have I done to deserve this?!?!?

It's cool though, all the original versions and upgraded versions of the classic C&C games (prior to ones running on the SAGE engines) including RA1, TD, Dune 2 & 2k all work perfectly :).

• Upvote 1

Lol open ra go away pls does it even have hotkeys?

I think you're in the wrong thread.  This is about OpenRA, not "open ra".  OpenRA has pretty good hotkey support: we include all the main commands from RA2 (except for camera bookmarking), and their bindings can be configured in the game options.

Troll score 0/10: try using it before abusing it.

fir3w0rx: Could you give our new playtest a shot?  This should hopefully fix your issue (and if not, it should at least give us some more useful debug info).

Didn't work. After double-clicking the newly made OpenRA icon on my desktop, my mouse cursor changes to busy / loading for a couple of seconds, then nothing. I then went into the OpenRA folder and run OpenRA.CrashDialog.exe and a  window box (or dialog box or whatever it's called) comes up:

"Fatal Error

OpenRA has encountered a fatal error and must close.

Refer to the crash logs and FAQ for more information."

exception.log:

Runtime Version: .NET CLR 4.0.30319.18063

Exception of type `System.InvalidOperationException`: No suitable renderers were found. Check graphics.log for details.

Exception of type `System.NullReferenceException`: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at OpenRA.Program.FatalError(Exception e)

graphics log:

OpenRA requires OpenGL version 2.0 or greater and detected 0.0

OpenGL Information:

Vendor:

Renderer:

GL Version:

Shader Version:

Available extensions:

System.InvalidProgramException: OpenGL Version Error: See graphics.log for details.

OpenRA requires OpenGL version 2.0 or greater and detected 0.0

OpenGL Information:

Vendor:

Renderer:

GL Version:

Shader Version:

Available extensions:

System.InvalidProgramException: OpenGL Version Error: See graphics.log for details.

No one else seems to have this problem but me (nobody else has posted the same problem) so it could be just on my end.

:(

OpenGL Information:

Vendor:

Renderer:

GL Version:

Shader Version:

Available extensions:

Yeah, this confirms that the problem is with your OpenGL drivers.  These fields should never be blank.  Maybe try installing a different driver version?

OpenGL Information:

Vendor:

Renderer:

GL Version:

Shader Version:

Available extensions:

Yeah, this confirms that the problem is with your OpenGL drivers.  These fields should never be blank.  Maybe try installing a different driver version?

Ok, but where do I find drivers for the OpenGL? Or would I have to roll back my gfx card driver (GeForce gtx 580)?  I don't think I'll do the latter because all my other games work just fine, rolling back the gfx driver could affect them. Isn't there a way to manually enter the OpenGL details like via the registry or something? Or even hex edit? :P

*EDIT: Although very buggy, OpenRA works on my WinXP running inside VMware, which uses a generic gfx driver. My Win 7 64bit uses an NVidia driver. Maybe OpenRA hasn't been tested thoroughly on NVidia drivers? Can you name a few games that require OpenGL? I'd like to try and see if other OpenGL games work because I've now tried 2 different OpenGL tools ('OpenGL Extensions Viewer v4.1' and 'Geeks3D GPU Caps Viewer v1.20.1.1') and they both detect the same OpenGL version (v4.4).

Can you name a few games that require OpenGL?

ID Software games always run exclusively on OpenGL. You can try Free Software games like http://www.urbanterror.info/ which uses the old idTech 3 engine and SDL 1.2 or http://sourceforge.net/projects/unvanquished/ which is a modernized engine which has been ported to the same SDL 2 version we use, too.

'Urban Terror' works just fine on my PC. I didn't try 'Unvanquished' because I think you have to compile the files yourself, which I have no clue how to do.

fir3w0rx: This is a long shot, but could you please try replacing OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.dll in your playtest-20140709 install with http://build.open-ra.org/debug/OpenRA.Renderer.Sdl2.dll, and then let me know if anything changes?

Still the same, but I think the graphics.log has changed.

exception.log:

graphics.log:

System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(String path, Evidence evidence)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)

Also, I know this won't help, but those^ error messages are output 2x in each log file, but I only copy-pasted 1 from each. Sorry to turn your OpenRA post into a 'help fir3w0rx' post :D