Extra music does not play (tracks from Vector and down)

Magnus

Hi guys!

I decided it was time to play Red Alert again, grew up with it as a big part of my childhood. Excellent work you've done here with the patching and auto-installer and all!

I'm choosing the Offline option in the launcher, and the game seems to work perfectly, but for a slight hitch: I can't play the extra songs that were "hidden" in the original game.

I've ticked off Show All Music in the settings, but it won't work in the game. The tracks show up in the list, but when I play them Bigfoot starts. The last track that works is Vector.

I remember extracting those tracks onto a CD way back when I was younger, my favorite is Chaos2. Any way I can get them to work in the game?

You can download the add-on here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1sb1eohtm2ov0qv/reta-exp-music.zip

Here is another add-on which adds extra movies (copied from the ps1 version)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/de2h42t27olqec4/ra_TLF_Videos2.zip

Stellar! I think it works 100% now, thanks mate. I... actually don't like the Aftermath remix tracks, so I might try to remove them from the .ini file. It was just the other ones I wanted.

Ah, I do remember playing the PS1 version, but I think all the videos are there in this one too? I'll grab the addon and see what it does.

In fact, the PS1 version was quite badass, it's the one I remember the most. Ported from the DOS PC version I think, but it had some other changes too. The Tesla beams were animated and jiggled around, it had cheat codes, and the Chrono Effect looked different (and cool!). I remember when my buddy (we had only got to about Mission 5 with Allies, but usually played Skirmish against the computer) told me that last night a moving "tesla cloud" had destroyed his opponent's base. I was like "pfff, yeah right". We got wiser, of course.

And then there was that fateful night when, after god knows how many hours, we had finally beaten the mission to rescue Kosygin, and sat watching the end movie. The PS1 version had passwords for each mission, with no possibility to save your game, and we'd written them all down in a "Top Secret Military Document" notebook that I kept in my drawer. Suddenly there was an unhealthy grinding noise from the PS1, and Von Esling's face froze in a death mask. The disc had a scratch where that movie was stored. The PS1 had stopped.

We hadn't seen the password for the next mission yet.

My dad had the PS1 copies of Red Alert and retaliation and so as a child, this was pretty much all I did. I learnt to play RA with a low-medium level of skill before I could read.

I remember the Kosygin Mission, it becomes a whole lot easier if you just blow up the rest of the base before you try to rescue him.

I always used to get stuck on the Tanya/Interior Missions (Allies 13 will forever be the hardest RA mission I have ever played)

On the PS1 version if you paused the game while a tesla beam was going off onscreen the animation would keep playing on the pause menu, which looked cool.

The cheats were fun too, particularly "Soylent Green" mode, where all the ore turns into people (with appropriate mining sound effects :P ) Also on retaliation (the expansion) on the Soviet mission "legacy of tesla" using the parabomb cheat gave you 5 nuclear bombs :P

My dad had the PS1 copies of Red Alert and retaliation and so as a child, this was pretty much all I did. I learnt to play RA with a low-medium level of skill before I could read.

I remember the Kosygin Mission, it becomes a whole lot easier if you just blow up the rest of the base before you try to rescue him.

I always used to get stuck on the Tanya/Interior Missions (Allies 13 will forever be the hardest RA mission I have ever played)

On the PS1 version if you paused the game while a tesla beam was going off onscreen the animation would keep playing on the pause menu, which looked cool.

The cheats were fun too, particularly "Soylent Green" mode, where all the ore turns into people (with appropriate mining sound effects :P ) Also on retaliation (the expansion) on the Soviet mission "legacy of tesla" using the parabomb cheat gave you 5 nuclear bombs :P

Never played any of the expansions... And I don't remember much of the Soviet missions (the Soviet disc was broken, so I have only the vague memories from the PC version). Time to play them now!

I remember completing the second indoor mission, but could not for the life of me figure out how to get out before they release the nerve gas... oyh that was annoying.

Best Skirmish map: Treasure Island. God, the bases we built! Dozens of war factories and millions of tanks... One time we actually saw the computer live long enough to build an airfield and send in paratroops! I wish there was some way you could mod the AI to be smarter and use secret weapons more. I'd play online, but I'd probably be smashed in seconds against experienced players.