Tiberian Sun Help

TomBaker

Hi guys,

I have always loved tiberian sun and played it when I was younger. I have tried to download both the single player and multiplayer versions of tiberian sun (and tried that patches) but for some reason non of the buttons in the menu show? and when I start a game from the cncnet irc client the game is glitchy laggy and just fucks up really. My cpu is an intel i7-4790k with a nvidia GTX 980 gpu. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it, thanks! :)

Guest Mechacaseal

First of all congrats on owning a godlike computer and still wanting to play a piece of shit game that can run on a sega dreamcast. I have similar specs and same operating system. I'm a hardcore tibsun player and I honestly have no idea why your computer would be having these issues. If you have more than one monitor disable them. If you have anything out of the ordinary on your computer disable it and see if it works.

Your issues sound like issues people would have running the game on laptop computers.

With the graphics patch enabled there is no reason why you game should be "laggy" you need to go into detail when you say "glitchy" . consider posting a screenshot of the missing buttons. I am not sure what's wrong with your game. Considering I've played it since it came out and never experienced similar problems besides on a laptop and windows 8 and 10

First of all congrats on owning a godlike computer and still wanting to play a piece of shit game that can run on a sega dreamcast. I have similar specs and same operating system. I'm a hardcore tibsun player and I honestly have no idea why your computer would be having these issues. If you have more than one monitor disable them. If you have anything out of the ordinary on your computer disable it and see if it works.

Your issues sound like issues people would have running the game on laptop computers.

With the graphics patch enabled there is no reason why you game should be "laggy" you need to go into detail when you say "glitchy" . consider posting a screenshot of the missing buttons. I am not sure what's wrong with your game. Considering I've played it since it came out and never experienced similar problems besides on a laptop and windows 8 and 10

Haha thanks ;) I have sort of fixed the whole button/glitchy problem with the game, but I am only able to run the game using my cpu, and at 1920x1080 it does get a bit slow (im not sure if its the game, connection, or the fact im using my cpu). Either way I would much prefer to use my gpu for obvious reasons, but im not really sure how haha. (btw tiberian sun is my fav game xD )

Welcome(back)!

Try a skirmish game, if it lags in that also than its not the connection.

Also some peeps have reported issues with nvidia GPU drivers

Check the 'fake vsync' option in settings>config

Hi, good to be back :)

I tried it in skirmish and it was still laggy with a lot of buildings/units. I changed the settings from default to ddwrapper and fakeVsync, but I still have the same issue and I think it is still using the cpu?

I know this is a dumb question equivalent to tech support asking if your printer is plugged in but, did you download the game from CnCnet.org?

Also, make sure you do not open Tiberian Sun then start a game from the CnCnet game chat lobby.

Finally this part is confusing me.

. . . but for some reason non (sic) of the buttons in the menu show?  . . .

Which buttons do you speak of?

I know this is a dumb question equivalent to tech support asking if your printer is plugged in but, did you download the game from CnCnet.org?

Also, make sure you do not open Tiberian Sun then start a game from the CnCnet game chat lobby.

Finally this part is confusing me.

. . . but for some reason non (sic) of the buttons in the menu show?  . . .

Which buttons do you speak of?

Hi :)

The issue I was/am having was that when I downloaded the full siingle player version from cncnet, after I loaded up the game (westwood intro, clicked tiberian sun not firestorm) the buttons that say e.g. "singleplayer, skirmish, internet, modem, exit, etc" were not showing. All I got was the picture/background. I decided to download the multiplayer only version from cncnet and at first that was also not working (once the game had started is was very blurry, and the option menu when clicked would not show. Also i would have to click multiple times for a unit to move, the mouse would go underneath the building/unit panel, there were bars flashing across the screen, just basically fucked). For some reason after I re-downloaded it about 10 times and tried all kinds of different patches that did not work, I have finally got it to work. I am not sure if the single player download would also work now as i havent tested it. Now my only sort of issue is the game gets a bit slow when there are a lot of units. The game is using my cpu to play (i7-4790k) but I have noticed that the max cpu usage will only be about 10% whilst playing at 1920x1080 (with other shit in the background too), I am not sure what the issue will be here. I am thinking that perhaps playing the game with my gpu would be a lot better but tbh i really dont know. any help is very appreciated!

Thanks so far guys :)

Delete and do another fresh install.... After that do trial n error with game configuration settings in the cncnet client. Most of us also on win7; works fine, just have to play with configs a bit.

Play with the nvidia control center settings also. After you have figured it out post the solution here for future reference.

but I am only able to run the game using my cpu, and at 1920x1080 it does get a bit slow (im not sure if its the game, connection, or the fact im using my cpu).

Game engine. Don't play at such high resolutions. The game doesn't like having too many objects on the screen at the same time.