Running the C&C Demo in Windows 7's Windows XP Mode

TaxOwlbear

So I got my hands on the C&C demo (the one with the three GDI missions). To my surprise, I could install it just like that in Windows 7's Windows XP Mode - no DOSbox needed! The only thing I had to do was disable integrated features.

However, there are two issues. Firstly, the sound is sometime cut off. When I installed the demo, EVA offered me the choice of some ten different sound cards. My modern sound car wasn't among them, obviously, so I choose Soundblaster, but I had good experience with that when running old games under Windows XP. The sound is mostly fine, but occasionally cut off. Can anyone recommend a different device? I don't want to uninstall and reinstall the demo ten times to try out every option.

Secondly, the XP mouse and the in-game mouse cursor are out of sync. I can see both, they move a different speeds and do not overlap. Any ideas how to fix this?

It works as long as you're on 32-bit, yes. For the sound problem there's an old tool called VDMSound, which more or less fixes it. I think the official downloads of it are gone, or there was a newer version that was severely malfunctioning or something... but I got a working version saved here.

I wrote a guide to run DOS C&C with VDMSound ages ago. It can still be found on the C&C2SW website:

http://cnc2sw.ppmsite.com/?page=dos_xp

Not sure how to fix the mouse issue; on XP, graphical DOS apps normally switch to fullscreen mode, so there is no Windows cursor.

The easy way to fix it all is simply DOSBox, y'know  :P

Thanks. :) I tried to run it with DOSbox, but that failed completely. I'll give VDMSound a go, though. I don't think it's supported anymore, but since it's for old games, that shouldn't matter. I have good experience to getting mid-90s FMV games to run with it a couple years ago.

• 3 months later...

By the way, there's also a six-mission demo, which includes Nod missions ;)

Rise from your grave! So I tried to install and run the six-mission demo just like I installed the three-mission demo. The setup works fine, but the game keeps complaining that I should run it first when I try to run the actual game. Any idea why that happens? I use D-Fend Reloaded as a frontend for DOSBox.