Can't install RA2/YR on Windows 10

mauriceX

Question

Hey all,

I just stumbled upon this forum.  Good to see there are others out there that enjoy the classics.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and while going through some of my old games, I found my C&C Red Strike (RA2 and YR combo pack).  I have tried installing the game, but when I install, I keep getting an error saying "An older version of OLEAUT32.DLL exists on your system.  RA2 requires this file to be updated"  I checked on the file, and it is from August 2015, so it doesn't need updated.

The error continues on to say "If you continue without updating, you will need to run VBRUN60.EXE from the Setup directory and reboot your system before running the game."  When I try to run VBRUN, I get an error saying "Error loading W95INF32.DLL"  - I went out and got that file from a downloader on Microsoft's website. 

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of.  I've changed every .exe file on the CD to run in compatibility mode.  Before I did that, nothing would happen at all.  So I've made some progress, but I'm stuck pretty good.  Any ideas of how I can proceed?

Thanks!

20 answers to this question

Same problem here, also using Red Strike. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the registry addition file that comes with EA's release of Tiberian Sun to work out a manual installation method. No luck so far, the 1.006 patcher for RA2 doesn't recognize my registry stuff :/

EDIT: Things are progressing, will do what I can very soon to distribute an installation method. The files will be different for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win10. The registry is now read properly for RA2, moving on to YR.

EDIT 2: Managed to make both recognized in the registry, but am completely unable to launch either game. RA2.exe, game.exe, gamemd.exe and YURI.exe don't run no matter what I do to them, while RA2MD.exe manages to launch on a window, but hangs as soon as it appears.

Hey all,

I just stumbled upon this forum.  Good to see there are others out there that enjoy the classics.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and while going through some of my old games, I found my C&C Red Strike (RA2 and YR combo pack).  I have tried installing the game, but when I install, I keep getting an error saying "An older version of OLEAUT32.DLL exists on your system.  RA2 requires this file to be updated"  I checked on the file, and it is from August 2015, so it doesn't need updated.

The error continues on to say "If you continue without updating, you will need to run VBRUN60.EXE from the Setup directory and reboot your system before running the game."  When I try to run VBRUN, I get an error saying "Error loading W95INF32.DLL"  - I went out and got that file from a downloader on Microsoft's website. 

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of.  I've changed every .exe file on the CD to run in compatibility mode.  Before I did that, nothing would happen at all.  So I've made some progress, but I'm stuck pretty good.  Any ideas of how I can proceed?

Thanks!

Hello - Have you tried using our installer (Win 10 compatible) located here: http://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge

You need to download the latest, it was only recently updated.

I broke down and bought the Origin pack since they have a 24 hour return policy.  The game installed without any problems from there.  However, now that I have the game installed, I go to launch it, and I can hear the sound, but the screen just continues to show my desktop.  When I click in thin air, I can hear the menus switching, so the program is running.  I just can't see anything!

All of the help I can find says that you need to do something with detecting a new monitor, etc. etc., but that process does not work on Windows 10.  It just tells you there are no other monitors and that is the end of it.

Any suggestions?  If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to have to return the game.

I broke down and bought the Origin pack since they have a 24 hour return policy.  The game installed without any problems from there.  However, now that I have the game installed, I go to launch it, and I can hear the sound, but the screen just continues to show my desktop.  When I click in thin air, I can hear the menus switching, so the program is running.  I just can't see anything!

All of the help I can find says that you need to do something with detecting a new monitor, etc. etc., but that process does not work on Windows 10.  It just tells you there are no other monitors and that is the end of it.

Any suggestions?  If I don't hear anything soon, I'm going to have to return the game.

Before you try Plokite_Wolf's post, place this into your Origin RA2/YR game directory https://www.dropbox.com/s/x10hvfosgn0k0mp/ddraw.dll?dl=0 and try again.

Also to mention, if you plan on playing Yuri's Revenge online, best use our installer at http://cncnet.org/yuris-revenge (now that the games installed) and it will apply a bunch of win 10 configurations.

Before you try Plokite_Wolf's post, place this into your Origin RA2/YR game directory https://www.dropbox.com/s/x10hvfosgn0k0mp/ddraw.dll?dl=0 and try again.

I am getting a 404 error on this link.  Do you have any other way I can get that?  I've tried three different ddraw.dll files, and only one of the three has made the game intro show up.  The other two do nothing.  So I'm guessing that is part of the problem.  With the .dll that makes the intro show up, I can't see any of the menu options or game prompts, so I'm still unable to play.

Same problem here, also using Red Strike. I'm trying to figure out how to modify the registry addition file that comes with EA's release of Tiberian Sun to work out a manual installation method. No luck so far, the 1.006 patcher for RA2 doesn't recognize my registry stuff :/

EDIT: Things are progressing, will do what I can very soon to distribute an installation method. The files will be different for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win10. The registry is now read properly for RA2, moving on to YR.

EDIT 2: Managed to make both recognized in the registry, but am completely unable to launch either game. RA2.exe, game.exe, gamemd.exe and YURI.exe don't run no matter what I do to them, while RA2MD.exe manages to launch on a window, but hangs as soon as it appears.

Could you possibly distribute how you got it to install?  I'd like to see if I could at least get it that far.  Maybe work on it a bit in my spare time.  Thanks!

Could you possibly distribute how you got it to install?  I'd like to see if I could at least get it that far.  Maybe work on it a bit in my spare time.  Thanks!

Certainly.

You will need these registry files (will explain in the installation process): http://www.mediafire.com/download/muay17saabwan3b/PW_RA2YR_regadd.zip

PART 1: RED ALERT 2 (VANILLA)

1) Insert either the Allied or the Soviet RA2 disc.

2) Go to the INSTALL folder and copy its content to a folder that will be your RA2 directory.

3) In the INSTALL folder, open Game1.cab with WinRAR and extract its content in your RA2 directory.

4) In my registry file ZIP, place one file inside your RA2 directory:

-- if you have a 32-bit system, use PW_RA2_regadd32.reg

-- if you have a 64-bit system, use PW_RA2_regadd64.reg

---- Do NOT run them yet.

5) Open your file (whichever it is) with Notepad.

6) Wherever you see "InstallPath", place your RA2 directory path, which is different from mine.

-- IMPORTANT NOTE: When you want to make a \ mark to indicate moving from one folder to another, make two \\ 's. Do not forget to do so.

7) In the one entry that says "Serial", replace "INSERT SERIAL" with your serial number from your RA2 box without the dashes.

8 ) Save the registry file and run it. Click OK.

9) Patch RA2 to 1.006. Here's the link to all languages: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/80c7bs0qtycs7/Red_Alert_2_patches

You have now installed Red Alert 2. I haven't been able to get it to run, so you're kinda on your own there.

PART 2: YURI'S REVENGE

1) Insert the YR disc.

2) Go to the INSTALL folder and copy its content to your RA2 directory.

3) In the INSTALL folder, open Game1.cab (you don't need the others, the first one will extract files from all of them despite the error messages) with WinRAR and extract its content in your RA2 directory.

-- if you have a 32-bit system, use PW_YR_regadd32.reg

-- if you have a 64-bit system, use PW_YR_regadd64.reg

6) Wherever you see "InstallPath", place your RA2 directory path, which is different from mine.

-- IMPORTANT NOTE: When you want to make a \ mark to indicate moving from one folder to another, make two \\ 's. Do not forget to do so.

7) In the one entry that says "Serial", replace "INSERT SERIAL" with your serial number from your YR box without the dashes.

9) Patch YR to 1.001. Here's the link to all languages: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ai5r75v8eo6yl/Yuri's_Revenge_patches

You have now installed Yuri's Revenge. I haven't gotten far with it either. :P

The reason why the games and installations apparently too don't work on 10 is because of the copy protection.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/17/windows-10-safedisc-securom-drm/

You need to get a no-CD crack for all games that use either SafeDisc or Securom, all Westwood games starting with TS use SafeDisc (as well as TFD and likely TUC).

As far as Emperor goes, Westwood released their own no-cd patch, its on the FTP.

As far as the rest go, iirc cncnz.com hosted bunch of them.

The reason why the games and installations apparently too don't work on 10 is because of the copy protection.

That seems to be correct for SafeDisc v2 which RA2/YR uses, but not quite for SecuROM, at least not v5.

I have some SecuROM-protected games that work nicely, including but probably not limited to:

- RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2002)

- Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (2004)

- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II (2006)

- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II: The Rise of the Witch-King (2006)

- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (2007)

- Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (2008)

- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (2008)

And no, CNCNZ.com never hosted any no-CD cracks apart from those that exist inside the TFD 1.03 rev4 patch. We can negotiate a release of those, though.

That seems to be correct for SafeDisc v2 which RA2/YR uses, but not quite for SecuROM, at least not v5.

I have some SecuROM-protected games that work nicely, including but probably not limited to:

- RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 (2002)

- Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (2004)

- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II (2006)

- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth II: The Rise of the Witch-King (2006)

- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (2007)

- Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath (2008)

- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (2008)

And no, CNCNZ.com never hosted any no-CD cracks apart from those that exist inside the TFD 1.03 rev4 patch. We can negotiate a release of those, though.

Well then M$ didn't do their job right then, just don't tell them that or they will fix it :P

Well sorta, cncnz hosted Command & Patch and on there the no-cd exes were available.

You need to get a no-CD crack for all games that use either SafeDisc or Securom, all Westwood games starting with TS use SafeDisc (as well as TFD and likely TUC).

As far as Emperor goes, Westwood released their own no-cd patch, its on the FTP.

As far as the rest go, iirc cncnz.com hosted bunch of them.

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get RA2 / YR to work on Windows 10.

Specifically I am trying to get C&C Reloaded to work but at this stage I'll settle for just the base game :)

After EXTENSIVE trial and error I am certain that this copy protection incompatibility is the issue. I've tried a whole host of different 'solutions' from the most basic to the most complex. I've tried using different game clients and the originals and third party plugins etc. This guy seems to be on the same track.

Running the game starts the main executable process but it hangs without creating a window. Sticks to 1.5 Mb RAM and 30% CPU usage and does nothing at all.

Annoyingly I haven't actually been able to find any nocd patches for YR yet. Out of all the fixes I think it would work. TFD patcher doesn't work because I'm using the original installs because I don't have my TFD disk anymore and the origin ultimate collection version can't handle mods (afaik).

On 31.8.2015 at 0:21 PM, Plokite_Wolf said:

Certainly.

You will need these registry files (will explain in the installation process): http://www.mediafire.com/download/muay17saabwan3b/PW_RA2YR_regadd.zip

PART 1: RED ALERT 2 (VANILLA)

1) Insert either the Allied or the Soviet RA2 disc.

2) Go to the INSTALL folder and copy its content to a folder that will be your RA2 directory.

3) In the INSTALL folder, open Game1.cab with WinRAR and extract its content in your RA2 directory.

-- if you have a 32-bit system, use PW_RA2_regadd32.reg

-- if you have a 64-bit system, use PW_RA2_regadd64.reg

---- Do NOT run them yet.

7) In the one entry that says "Serial", replace "INSERT SERIAL" with your serial number from your RA2 box without the dashes.

9) Patch RA2 to 1.006. Here's the link to all languages: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/80c7bs0qtycs7/Red_Alert_2_patches

You have now installed Red Alert 2. I haven't been able to get it to run, so you're kinda on your own there.

PART 2: YURI'S REVENGE

1) Insert the YR disc.

2) Go to the INSTALL folder and copy its content to your RA2 directory.

3) In the INSTALL folder, open Game1.cab (you don't need the others, the first one will extract files from all of them despite the error messages) with WinRAR and extract its content in your RA2 directory.

-- if you have a 32-bit system, use PW_YR_regadd32.reg

-- if you have a 64-bit system, use PW_YR_regadd64.reg

7) In the one entry that says "Serial", replace "INSERT SERIAL" with your serial number from your YR box without the dashes.

9) Patch YR to 1.001. Here's the link to all languages: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ai5r75v8eo6yl/Yuri's_Revenge_patches

You have now installed Yuri's Revenge. I haven't gotten far with it either. :P

Hi! Could you please share these reg files and patches again. I can't install Red Alert 2 on my Windows 10. When I press continue to install the game window with instalation just  gone and that's it.

9 hours ago, FirstConqueror said:

Hi! Could you please share these reg files and patches again. I can't install Red Alert 2 on my Windows 10. When I press continue to install the game window with instalation just  gone and that's it.

They've been DMCA'd (lol) a while ago, the new procedure is here: http://forums.cncnz.com/topic/19497-original-ra2yr-cds-vs-windows-10/#comment-225594

However, I don't know how the CnCNet YR client would like such an edited exe, so skip steps 7 and 8, and let the YR client do its thing with fixing the renderer.