[Solved] Bsod + Can you use the CnCnet launcher to play the campaigns?

DBR-Evolution

(feels like I'm talking to myself with all those updates and nobody replying  :roll:)

Edit 3: Holy f***, it actually launched  O_o. I used the CnCnet launcher (forgot it was still there after the reinstall and switching to my apu  :dry:) using the TS-DDraw parameter and it fired up right away (hearing that awesome sound track... Dem feels).

So I can now play skirmish on- and offline using the CnCnet launcher but the main point of reinstalling Red Alert 2/YR was to play the campaigns again. Is it possible to apply the CnCnet launcher magic sauce in such a way that I can play the singleplayer (and yes, I tried launching the games using the regular launcher after I ran the CnCnet launcher, but that gives me the DDraw error? )

------

Original Title: Origin version RA2/YR (on the house) causes BSOD

Greeting fellow commanders :cnc:

As some of you may know, EA is offering RA2/YR for free on origin for the time being. Red Alert 2 being my favourite rts to this date and us being parted for many years due to unfortunate events, saying that I was excited to yet again play this masterpiece, is putting it mildly.

But my hopes and dreams were crushed when I fired it up. As soon as I run one of the games, my pc gives me the finger and returns a bsod. I've searched across the web for a solution, but nothing fixes my problem.

I do have some Windows 95, 98 and XP installs lying around but it's pretty silly to install an operating system just so you can play one game.  :dry:

So yeah, you guys are my last hope.  :P

See attachment for bsod report.

------

Relevant PC specifications:

° Processor: Intel Core i7-3370K

-On-Board Graphics Chip: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (not in use, HDMI is in DGC)

° Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 290 Asus DirectCU II (DGC)

° Network Card:  RealTek PCIe Family Controller

° Display: LG 29UM67 (21:9 monitor)

------

Edit: It seems CnCnet corrupts the .txt file so here is the copy/paste

==================================================
Dump File         : 101115-49202-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 11-10-2015 12:55:13
Bug Check String  : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1       : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2       : fffff880`0f41117d
Parameter 3       : fffff880`059e3410
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ddkmd.sys
Caused By Address : ddkmd.sys+1117d
File Description  : 
Product Name      : 
Company           : 
File Version      : 
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+735c0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : E:\System Crash Dump\101115-49202-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 8
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 320.430
Dump File Time    : 11-10-2015 12:56:28
==================================================

------

Edit 2: I switched from my gpu to my apu as my display driver and now running the game returns a DDraw.dll crash with error code 80070057. I tried running the game (using both the origin folder and a copy of the origin folder in a different location) with different patches, extreme compatibility parameters and the such things but the game still returns the DDraw.dll crash error.

ra_bsod.txt

Copy Resources\ts_ddraw.dll to the main RA2/YR directory and rename the copy to ddraw.dll. Try running the regular game then.

Didn't fix it.

ts_ddraw.dll ~ ddraw.dll  => game crashes on start-up: no error message

Ie_ddraw.dll ~ ddraw.dll  => game crashes: asks for libwine.dll. After copying the libwine.dll from the Resources folder, the game crashes: ddraw error code 887900DE

ddraw_nohw ~ ddraw.dll  => game launches but the screen is black. Sounds are playing and mouse pointer is visible. Tried the second screen workaround but to no avail. Tweaking compatibility parameters has no effect.

We're getting closer. At least there is sound  XD

(I wonder what's that ddkmd.sys driver.. I don't have it)

Considering the bsod doesn't show it's ugly head when using the on-board graphics chip, my best guess is that it has something to do with the AMD drivers.

The tendency of cncnet to make some of its fixes and enhancements seemingly online-exclusive is kind of a nuisance, imo...

The fixes, mainly ts-ddraw conflicted with some Origin launches, so this is why its 'exclusive'.  :P

It will be a glorious day when Red Alert 2 is released as freeware (like that's going to happen  :roll:)

You guys are doing amazing work!

IE-DDRAW needs wined3d.dll in addition to libwine.dll.

211092_242669842430795_4056741_n.jpg

That did the job  :D

Edit:

I have AMD graphics (Radeon HD 7850) as well :P

Just realized I forgot to switch from my GPU to my APU and the game still ran (in glorious 2560x1080). Your fix not only solved the ddraw.dll issue but also my initial bsod issue.  :O

tumblr_inline_n0fbq5idu51rwdd7c.png